Help dealing with very large database

baseball

Board Regular
I have about 100 years of play-by-play data for major league baseball games that I want to put into Access 2003 (Win 7, 64-bit). This is far more data than Access can handle. In fact, the three tables I now have for 2000 through 2013 have 2,758,933 records, each with 97 fields. Having separate databases to handle all this is a pain because players' careers have spanned into four different decades.

Would splitting the database into front and back ends be a reasonable way of handling this, especially if I reduce the number of years in each table? Or do I have to move on to MySQL (given that I'm highly dependent on Access's Wizards for writing queries, this is not something I look forward to).

Thanks

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Splitting the database into an Access front-end and Access back-end probably won't make much of a difference, since all the data will be stored in the backend.
I suggest trying to use MySQL as the back-end to store all the data, and use Access as the front-end. Then you will still be using Access to write all your queries, but have the extra memory you need to hold your data.

Upvote 0
You could also use SQL Server Express. Access connects to it quite easily, it's free, and I think you get about 10 GB capacity.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back