Help creating Relationships between tables

rkulek

Hello,

I am trying to create a relationship between two tables that each have a column called "PROJ_NAME_I". Both tables have more than 1 primary key and as a result I am just not able to currently wrap my head around getting the data to join together.

Here is a screenshot of my current relationship design (which doesn't currently have a relationship but shows the 2 tables and their keys).

SJN7s9a.png

Feel free to make suggestions to table design, whether making a new table or anything else. I am much more used to making an extra table to attach a column to a primary key in each of the 2 other tables.. not trying to connect the same column together OR dealing with multiple primary keys.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Actually, as I look at the two tables more, each table has PROJ_NAME_I and VNDR_ABBR_N... would this redundancy prevent a working relationship between the tables?

Upvote 0
You haven't told us what anything relates to so it's impossible to give any recommendations - we don't even know what these things are, on a couple of other points:

<ol>
<li>Your database doesn't feel at all normalised, you have calculated fields in there (you'd normally do these in the query) - the fact that you have a table called Master is also a strong indication that you need more normalisation</li>
<li>Why do you have multiple Primary Keys - I didn't even know that was possible (it certainly isn't in SQL Server) unless they're composite keys, ideally PKs should be auto numbers and unrelated to the data</li>
<li>You have spaces in field names, that's really not a good idea</li>
</ol>

Upvote 0
I basically need PROJ_NAME_I in the two tables to be linked, and I definitely understand why you cannot make recommendations due to the way the tables have been made. This is a project I have been tasked to clean up, but it seems I may need to rebuild the tables entirely to make a working relationship between the two tables.

If or when I am able to make the needed adjustments for normalization, I will re-post back. Thank you for the quick response.

Upvote 0
Where does PROJ_NAME_I come from? Presumably that is a key in another table?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsalaki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back