Having trouble getting cell to do what I want

stankier

I am new to the site and I have been having an issue I can not figure out! I am working on our payroll program, and I want Excel to add a specific amount, say 24, to every employees bank of hours monthly. I want this to be done automatically without having to enter a figure. So for example on the first of ever month the program would add these hours to a column "A". I have the complete program done except for this.

After it adds these hours in to column "A" I need the cell to have a maximum amount, say 200, that it will not allow it to exceed. Anything over that 200 I need to automatically deduct said amount and multiply it by $10. So as an example if employee "Ben" has earned 180 hours in his bank, March first he will get 24 hours added to that amount. So he would have 204. Then it would deduct 4 hours, keeping him at max amount of 200, and multiply 4 by $10= $40.

Can this be done?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
try

Excel 2012
AB
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=MIN(A1+24,200)*4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try
in A2 : =MIN(A1+24;200)
in B2 : =10*MAX((A1+24-200);0)

where A1 is last month's bank of hours

bye

Upvote 0
OK I am having trouble with the above formulas. Let me try to use the example attached to as my question. Every month I want to add 24 (A1) to B2. However B2 can not exceed 200. If it does I need the "overage" to be calculated by 10 and placed in C3. B2 amount can vary. So in my example I would add A1 to B1 which gives me 224. I then need to subtract any amount over 200, which can vary, in This case 24 X 10=240 and place that in C3. In the A2 same issue but the max amount would be 204, and the amount of 4X10=40 needs to be placed in C3. In the example I added what I need, but don't know the formula to make it happen.

A B C
1 24 200 $240
2 24 180 $40

Upvote 0
try

Excel 2012
ABC
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1=(MAX(200,A1+B1)-200)*10

Upvote 0
Since this is a payroll program and we get paid bimonthly I am having this issue. I have a Column that keeps the master times lets call it A1. When I add 24 via data validation drop down tab it will add the 24 to the A1 column. However it will subtract when I leave that same drop down blank. How can I make it add 24 to column A! every time I click the button/drop down box?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back