Having problems importing tab delimited .txt file

respree

I am trying to import a tab delimited file into Access.

Using a macro, I am using the "Import Delimited" as Transfer Type and "Transfer Text" as the Action. If I import it manually, the file imports just fine, but using the macro, it blows up. Error message is that the file is in an unexpected format. It appears that under my current settings, it does not recognize the tab delimters and is attempting to import all the fields of a record into one field, including the headers.

There is something in the macro called "Specification Name," which is currently left blank. Could someone explain what this means or provide links where I can read about it. Access Help is unfortunately or no help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi,

Go through the manual import process. When you get to the second Import Text Wizard box make sure that you've chosen the delimiter you want, then click the Advanced button in the bottom left. You can then name your fields, choose the data types and other options. You can the click Save As to save the specification name. You can then refer to this specification name in your macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back