Having access query list duplicates once?

poodie

Hi im brushing back up on my access/excel skills again, and i cant remember how to get duplicate items to only be listed once (assuming it is possible). I have to do the following:

"Create a query based on bad_product_IDs that will list each value once, then delete all records containing these product IDS from the invoice_detail table. Save your delete query as bad_products_delete_details."

I can delete it no problem, but I dont know what to put into access that will give me my desired result of having ID's listed once. I guess i could do a find duplicate query and get rid of those, but i thought there was another way.

any help is appreciated. i just stumbled onto this forum the other day, wasnt aware they had forums of this size for this stuff, really looks like a great place. thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
To get duplicate items to list only once use Totals.

This will allow you to group any field.

For your example create a new query, add the table containing the bad_product_ID field, add that field to the query and then goto View>Totals.

There should now be a dropdown menu below the added field. It is set to Group By as default.

If you now run the query you will get unique ID's.

Upvote 0
ah success! i didnt know you only wanted the one feild in there, thanks a lot :pray:

edit: actually just kidding. I dont know how to delete them. i dont know how to bring the date i got from the query out of the invoice_detail table. im sure this is simple too but it i cant visualize it. when i like try to at the invoice_detail table to the query then it lists items more than once again so maybe i have to save that query and then run a query off that.

well i tried to make a new query and then put the old query results in it and run the delete but i have to specify the table so now im confused again. any help please?

Upvote 0
ok ive been working on this thing for entirely too long. i cant visualize how to set up the query. i thought i found a way but when i try to run it i get this :

"Could not delete from specified tables. (Error 3086)
You tried to delete data from one or more tables, but the deletion could not be completed.

Possible causes:

You do not have permission to modify the table. To change your permissions assignments, see your system administrator or the table's creator.
The database was opened for read-only access. The database is read-only for one of these reasons:
You used the OpenDatabase method and opened the database for read-only access.
The database file is defined as read-only in the database server operating system or by your network.
In a network environment, you do not have write privileges for the database file.
In Microsoft® Visual Basic®, you used the Data control and set the ReadOnly property to True.
To delete the data, close the database, resolve the read-only condition, and then reopen the file for read/write access.:

now i havent done anything different when opening it, the "read-only" box isnt checked in the properties. i know this is fairly simple stuff, but my mind is blank. any help again would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back