gotta be an easier way....

killerleaf

Board Regular
ok, here is the deal.....

I have a form, that has a subform, that has
"complications" on it.

how can I query for a specific record, (say by the field "medical record number" and the form come up so I can enter the complications?

and this is something that would be done repeatedly each day.....

or am I asking for the impossible dream? no, my skill level is not high, and yes, there is probably something very elemental that I am missing here...I have just gotten to the point where I am almost completed with this thing, and I am testing it....this is the one major flaw. Right now I am bringing up the form, and just scrolling thru the records; (I only have about 40 records so far, so not too bad) but in a year or so when there will be 10,000 records, I think that I would be lynched by my co-workers.

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated!!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Can you write a query that only shows you the "complications"?

If yes, what you can do is setup a toggle button to control (change) the recordsource for your subform.

If you know how to reference form values, what you do is set a button on the mainform that changes the value of the subform recordsource (back and forth between two or more queries depending on which is already there) and then use something like Me.Refresh to refresh the subform.

That's pretty general, but if you've already created a form with related records in a subform, I think you're pretty far along towards understanding this already.

Mike

Upvote 0
Try teaching them some basic use of Access forms :)

RightClick in the field "medical record number" and you will get a shortcut menu up. One of the options is "Filter For" and a box to type the criteria in. hit enter and the form will only show that record (or records if not a unique ID).
When they are done, then right click anywhere on the main form and select "Remove Filter/Sort" to get all of the records back.
Or alternatively thy may prefer to do a Ctr-G and use the standard "Find Dialogue" to find the relevant record.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
you can do that? :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

please understand, I am very new to access, (have had two two-hour classes) and the other people who will be using this have had even less. I am trying my best to get this setup; and all you guys here have been sooooooooo patient and so kind! I do appreciate the help! I think the right click thing may be the ticket for us...will be trying it out the next couple of days.

(but what is Me.Refresh anyway?)

Upvote 0
Oops.
What I was referring to was putting VBA commands behind on "on_click" event (on_click just means you clicked a button) that would first tell your subform that it has a new set of criteria to show data (to show all or show only your 'complications).

Me.Refresh is an action command that tells it to "Refresh" the data for "Me" the current active form.

It's like saying "go out and get me a fresh copy of what is in the table"

Even more confusing, it may or may not be necessary to even include it depending on how you did the forms.

That confusing enough? I'm confused too sometimes. Forms are not my specialty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back