good old if statements

Pushkinwow

So here is the problem.

I am dealing with salary data and people are supposed to be classified into steps 1-5. Unfortunately people are all over the place (below step 1, between step 2 and 3, above step 5 at multiple rates) so needless to say its a mess.

I need to produce a report with the total number of people in each step. That would be easy if people were where they are supposed to be but as I outlined above they are all over the place. I figured that with if statements you should be able to set perameters (either in the query or in the report) to return all the people below step 1, all the people at step 1, all the people in between step 1 and 2, etc.

The actual if statements should be easy to write but I wanted some direction on where to put them (where in the report or query, and how to assign a variable to it etc).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
bat 17: I looked at thedescription of the switch function.

it seems to return one value after going through all of the expressions. i need something that will look at each value and then classify it accordingly.

that's why i figured if statements would be the best. I can just run all the data through a series of if statements, assign variables to what i want to count, and after all the data has been looked it I will have totals for my variables which I can then display in the report or query.

lol - any nice simple way to do it without coding would be nice though!

Upvote 0
Swith works with matched pairs. it will give the first "true" result, use something like this to get your classification.

class: Switch([Salary]<1000,"Below 1",[SALARY]<3001,"grade 1",[SALARY]<4000,"Between 1 and 2",[SALARY]<6001,"grade 2,[SALARY]>7000,"Too Much")

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
Why not create a new column in the original table called say StepGroup?

Then create update queries that set it according to the step value?

Is the step actually determined by the salary?

Upvote 0
Pushkinwow said:
the data type is numeric/currency

Well which? It can't be both Numeric and Currency - these are different data types.

I agree with the Switch() function.

If however, you feel it looks too long in the SQL then you can create a function that does the same thing using the SELECT CASE structure and using that in the SQL.

Upvote 0
Just checked and the data is just a number (represents a currency but just a number).

I will have to play around with the switch function. it seems to be what i want but I am not too familiar with writing sql (although I am starting to get better with a friendly book and help from you guys).

Norie: the step is independent of the salary. ideally what i need is to set up parameters of the steps and then be able to classify each number from a table into your variable "groupstep".

Upvote 0
Any chance of posting a little sample data?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMB1982

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back