Lowggy

I have 160 golfers. All the golfers have handicaps. 90% of the golfers are spouses. The handicaps for a 9 hole course vary from 3 to 18. I want to be able to keep the couples together and be able to automatically build 40 teams of 4somes so that the total handicap of each 4some is as close as possible. Couples playing that do not have the same last name can be fudged to look like they are a couple by temporarily "marrying" them then making the required change after the 4somes are generated.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
so what data table are you working with

Upvote 0
There is a golf program out there that will handle 160 golfers but will only allow you to lock in half of the couples. To make 4somes you have to manually add the other couples. I am pretty sure it will allow you to import a .csv file so if it could be done with an Excel macro I could still make use of the program to print score cards etc.

Upvote 0
So no one wants to tackle this. I have code that will let me keep 40 couples together but I can not get it to keep the other
80 players, most of which are couples, together. As I said the players that are not couples can be made to look like couples just to generate the 4somes. The big thing is the total of each 4somes handicap has to be as close as possible.

Upvote 0
So no one wants to tackle this. I have code that will let me keep 40 couples together but I can not get it to keep the other
80 players, most of which are couples, together. As I said the players that are not couples can be made to look like couples just to generate the 4somes. The big thing is the total of each 4somes handicap has to be as close as possible.

This is a straight Excel file done with a macro but it will not do take 160 players and keep couples together and make 40 4somes of 80 couples, all with the same, or as close to, total handicaps. I can include the file in an Amazon cloud drive if anyone wants to have a look. The gentlemen who originally did the code did a great job to get it to where it is and I do not have the skill to complete it and he is no longer interested in doing more work on ii.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back