Getting started with Power BI

Jtucker10278

Board Regular
after 5 to 8 hours of reading and playing around with Power BI I haven't been very successful ( life long Excel nerd, and built a respectable access database a few years ago, so I have some Idea of what I am doing)
but to check my understanding, if i have and excel or CSV dump from an time reporting application that the empoloyees use to log hours worked for each job and for the task within that job. so i can see how many hours "Tom" spent cutting parts for John Deer, or "Frank" spent painting parts for John Dear, or for Ferrari etc etc

now i have another CSV dump from a different system that tells me how may parts "Tom" cut for John Deer. and when each part was cut.

if I understand Power BI it should be able to merge this two into one very useful chart, pivot table, Infographic.

I'm sure it is much more powerful that just that, but that is what Power BI is made to do Yes?

Thankyou

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Yes first of all it is very easy to extract data from different sources. Then, you can easily transform and tidy up data with power query(in PBI) first. When you have cleaned your data, you can do your relationships between the tables.

After setting this up correctly, the charts/visuals are very easy to make. You can ofcourse create calculations in PBI (called measures or calculated columns) to get more out of your data.

Since you already have experience with Excel and Access, you will get it relatively fast.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swgrinder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back