Getting a Cell's data length (LEN) from another worksheet

gemcgraw

Board Regular
I'm trying to do something simple but for some reason my coding is either freezing Excel or closes it.
I simply want to look at cell C7 on another spreadsheet (XYZ) and get it's LEN. Any simple one liner?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
make sure that both workbooks are open when you create the formula like =LEN([testsheet.xlsx]Sheet1!$C$7) where testsheet is the name of your XYZ book. if you then close your workbook and look again at your formula in your open book/sheet if may read something like this =LEN('C:\Users\Don\Desktop\New Briefcase\[testsheet.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$7) where I am using Excel 2013 and I have one sheet closed and one open. excel is telling the open sheet where to look because they are not in the same directory right now. depending on your version, and your set security level you may not be able to update your formula in your open book, with the other one closed. most of the newer versions will allow this. try again and I hope this helps . ~DR

Upvote 0
That is good for crossing workbooks in the future; however, I'm working within the same workbook, just crossing worksheets. I need to look from Worksheet1 over to Workheets2 (cell C7) to get a value. I'm writing in VB as well to keep the coding out of the way of users.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FengXue

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back