Get first occurrence in a sorted list

Sharkie21

Trying to get the first record for each member id in my sorted list.

SELECT [member_id]
,[physician_id]
,[most_recent_date]
,[num_visits]
FROM table1
order by [member_id] asc, num_visits desc, [most_recent_date] desc

The table contains a list of members, the physician(s) they seen, date of the most recent visit with that particular physician, and how many times they saw that physician.

Goal is to determine which physician is responsible for that patient based on the following logic. 1) Which ever physician the patient visited the most is responsible, if tied then 2) which ever physician the patient most recently visited is responsible.

I have my list sorted, such that the top entry for each member id would be the physician responsible, how do I carve that out so I only have a single entry for each member with my physician information (physician_id, most recent date, num_visits)?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I was able to do it in a series of two queries.

The first query I named "Query1" and here is the code I used:
Code:
SELECT Table1.member_id, Max(Table1.most_recent_date) AS MaxOfmost_recent_date, Table1.num_visits, [num_visits]=DMax("[num_visits]","Table1","[member_id]='" & [member_id] & "'") AS Max_Check
FROM Table1
GROUP BY Table1.member_id, Table1.num_visits, [num_visits]=DMax("[num_visits]","Table1","[member_id]='" & [member_id] & "'")
HAVING ((([num_visits]=DMax("[num_visits]","Table1","[member_id]='" & [member_id] & "'"))=True));
And here is the second query, which returns each member once, along with the details of their responsible physician:
Code:
SELECT Table1.member_id, Table1.physician_id, Table1.most_recent_date, Table1.num_visits
FROM Query1 INNER JOIN Table1 
ON (Query1.MaxOfmost_recent_date = Table1.most_recent_date) AND (Query1.num_visits = Table1.num_visits) AND (Query1.member_id = Table1.member_id)
ORDER BY Table1.member_id;

Upvote 0
Thank you Joe. Is there any way without using DMax? I'm using MS SQL Server, and it doesn't recognize that function.

Upvote 0
You could do a separate Aggregate Query, which gets the Max record_count for each member_id, and link that in instead of using DMAX.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back