Funny/Strange things you find in Excel Help Files

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Throughout my "research" at work, I browse through Excel help files and come across some really strange examples that are in there.

For example:

In the EntireColumn Property help file, they have:

Code:
[B]Example[/B]

This example sets the value of the first cell in the column that contains the active cell. The example must be run from a worksheet.

<CODE>ActiveCell.[B]EntireColumn[/B].Cells(1, 1).Value = 5</CODE>
</PRE>

I'm thinking to myself, "Thats odd, Cells(1, ActiveCell.Column).Value = 5 seems more clean/effecient. Why not use an example like ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Copy?"

Anything else any of you have run across that strikes you as odd or COMPLETELY ineffecient?
</PRE>

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
They have Help files?

Where?:)

Read the 2007 offline Help files about defined names...

Read the 2007 offline Help files about defined names...
What's in a name (name: A word or string of characters that represents a cell, range of cells, formula, or constant value. Use easy-to-understand names, such as Products, to refer to hard to understand ranges, such as Sales!C20:C30.)? That which we call a cell range, function, constant, or table would tally and toil just as sweetly, methinks. But nay, don't take me at my word. Read what follows that is writ, to master all manner of names that befit.

ROFLMAO!

Cool...a new reference to give people who tell me Excel help isn't worth reading (and would rather just ask me how :))
I though MrKowz was just making a comment about the content :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want Mr. Kowz' "research" position. :biggrin:

I want Mr. Kowz' "research" position. :biggrin:

My time on the forums here I tell my boss is my "research" to help build the spreadsheet I created and maintain for them. So to make it look like I'm actually doing work in Excel, I'll load a help file and read through it, load another read through it, etc... all between helping on the forums.

Not the best job in the world, but at least these forums keep me sane. :biggrin:

My time on the forums here I tell my boss is my "research"

TBH, that's a great idea...
If I ever found myself in a role with minions reliant to any extent on Excel I would insist they spend 1 hour a day on an Board like this. The end result would be a huge net gain in overall productivity/efficiency.

Not odd or inefficient, but just plain wrong – Excel 2007 help files on dates:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Microsoft Office Excel stores dates as sequential numbers that are called serial values. For example, in Microsoft Office Excel for Windows, January 1, 1900 is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008 is serial number 39448 because it is 39,448 days after January 1, 1900.

01/01/2008 is serial number 39,448 because it is 39447 days after 01/01/1900. You could call me pedantic, but it matters!

TBH, that's a great idea...
If I ever found myself in a role with minions reliant to any extent on Excel I would insist they spend 1 hour a day on an Board like this. The end result would be a huge net gain in overall productivity/efficiency.

Absolutely. I'm one of many who have learned heaps here. Definitely faster / more directed than trying to get the same from a book. Still have a long way to go though.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saviour198

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back