FULL JOIN to distribute one column over several others

OdinsDream

Hi, I'm constructing a database to replace a previous table kept in excel. The table worked like this:

Code:
Number     Site1     Site2     Site3
12            x                  x
14            x        x         x
16            x        x
31            x
82                     x         x

Where the 'x' represents activity at that particular site. I reconstructed this in my database, and in the large table, I'm storing the Number (along with other details), and in a smaller lookup table, I'm storing:

Details.Number
Details.ActiveSite

So, for the above data, my lookup table would be:

Code:
Number      Active Site
12              1
12              3
14              1
14              2
14              3
16              1
16              2
31              1
82              2
82              3

Now then, I've constructed this SQL statement, but I'm trying to recreate the previous table, for backwards compatibility... that is, I want ALL the numbers shown on the left, but I'd like to tease out the ActiveSite column and "spread it out" across the top, like it was before.

Here's my statement so far:

Code:
SELECT si.Number, sd.ActiveSite 
   FROM Info AS si
   FULL JOIN Details AS sd ON
        si.Number = sd.Number
ORDER BY si.Number;

Any help is greatly appreciated. My problem is, if I restrict it by saying "WHERE sd.ActiveSite = 1", then I lose certain numbers...

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I am sure you can create what you are looking for, using a Crosstab Query. Give it a try, Just use the wizard its pretty simple.

Upvote 0
Is crosstab in the Query Wizard? I'm constructing this so the results go into Excel, through the Get External Data wizards, so if it's possible to do it with SQL, I can easily implement it.

I'll look into Crosstab. Thanks!

Upvote 0
He's right, PIVOT tables are the right way to do this, and either the wizard or QBE is the 'easy' way to construct it.

TRANSFORM fld1 SELECT tbl1.fld2, tbl1.fld3, tbl1.fld3
FROM tbl1 RIGHT JOIN tbl2 ON tbl1.fld2=tbl2.fld1
GROUP BY tbl1.fld2
PIVOT tbl1.fld3;

Upvote 0
I found a solution on another forum (dbforums.com) and it goes a little something like this:

Code:
SELECT si.Number "Number"
max(case when sd.ActiveSite = 1 then case when sd.Forced IS NULL then 'x' else CAST(sd.Forced AS varchar(3)) end else '' end) [Site1],
max(case when sd.ActiveSite = 2 then case when sd.Forced IS NULL then 'x' else CAST(sd.Forced AS varchar(3)) end else '' end) [Site2],
max(case when sd.ActiveSite = 4 then case when sd.Forced IS NULL then 'x' else CAST(sd.Forced AS varchar(3)) end else '' end) [Site3],
FROM Info AS si
LEFT JOIN Details AS sd ON
si.Number = sd.Number
GROUP BY si.Number

Upvote 0
That's some ugly SQL. If you're interested in one crosstab method, here you go:

Make a query off of your table that selects Number, Site, and "x". Also, you could transform the Site into "Site1,Site2,Site3". Something like this:
  • Select Number, IIF([Active Site]=1,"Site1",IIF([Active Site]=2,"Site2","Site3") as Site, "x" as Ex FROM MyTable;
Then you can use the crosstab wizard off of this query to make your new table. Choose Number for the Row heading, Site for the Column heading, and Max(Ex) for the value. The SQL would look something like this:
  • TRANSFORM Max(qry062503_a2.Ex) AS MaxOfEx
    SELECT qry062503_a2.Number 
    FROM qry062503_a2
    GROUP BY qry062503_a2.Number 
    PIVOT qry062503_a2.Site;

Even though it is 2 queries, it is cleaner in my mind. And if you really wanted one query, you could use a table expression, something like this:
  • TRANSFORM Max(Ex) AS SomethingThatWontShow
    SELECT Number 
    FROM (SELECT Number , IIf([Active Site]=1,"Site1",IIf([Active Site]=2,"Site2","Site3")) AS Site, "x" AS Ex
    FROM tbl062503_a)
    GROUP BY Number 
    PIVOT Site;
Where tbl062503_a is my table with 2 fields: Number, and Active Site.

Another way to look at it,

Russell

Upvote 0
Russell Hauf, I'm trying out your code now.

I should probably point out that the ugly code I have right now has one more important function. If the "x" doesn't exist for a given record, it's replaced with the value in another column.

Upvote 0
OdinsDream said:
Russell Hauf, I'm trying out your code now.

I should probably point out that the ugly code I have right now has one more important function. If the "x" doesn't exist for a given record, it's replaced with the value in another column.

I'm not sure what this means.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back