From Excel to Access

JazzSP8

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books that maybe good for learning Access when your semi-competent with Excel?

I know a *little* about Access so I was thinking about the Access Bible (I have the Excel one and found it very useful).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Depends on what you want to do with Access.

If you want to learn about creating forms and reports then most books I have seen are OK.

I needed to learn about access so I could start working with bigger data sets. I bought the Microsoft book which seemed useful but had little info when I wanted to start generating complex SQL / queries.

If you are also working with the latter, I would start with what you know, and when you get stuck, ask questions here or on accessmonster.com

Thanks for the input chaps, appreciated...

Trouble is I am not sure what I need to know at the moment, I've been put forward for a job and told that it will involve Excel, Access and the use of VBA.

Excel and VBA I am fairly confident that I can at least learn what I don't know already. I understand databases to a point and how to extract information and construct a fairly simple one but I've never really used it in a business enviroment apart from when someone else had created it and even that hasn't been a lot.

The book NateO suggests sounds like something I might find handy, for the same reasons I like the Excel Bible. One for the shopping list I think. I think thats the kind of thing I need.

Does anyone have the Access Bible? Is it as good as the Excel Bible?

Any and all input appreciated :)

Hi

Access VBA is almost the same as Excel VBA. The principal difference is with Excel you can reference workbooks, worksheets and cells. But in Access you use either ADO, DAO or SQL statements, if at all, to access and manipulate data. I say "if at all" because you can often construct queries in Access to achieve the same outcome without using VBA. Another important point is to understand database normalisation - search the Access forum for database normalisation or normalization to get some introductory information and links etc. But as you have found with Excel, if you know where to look for help then that is half the problem solved. There are a number of knowledgable people contributing to the Access forum so feel free to ask any questions there!

Andrew

Andrew, Denis - Thanks for the replies - Sage advice indeed - Thank you.

I've run through a couple of threads on the Access board already and am just about to start having a play around with it at home. I'm going to catalogue my DVD collection just to get used to it, gives me something "real" to do... :)

Don't worry - Shall be asking questions at some point ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back