Forum search returning large number of results

Zindel

Hi,

I've been using Mr Excel to help me work in Excel for about a year now, and I noticed that the 'search forum' function is returning more and more results - most of which are irrelevant and don't solve any issues I may be having.

I always search for threads before posting a new one to keep the board threads to a minmum and avoid repetition... but it's got to the point where I will have to start a new thread every time I'm looking for an answer...

Can you help me? FYI my searches always return 12 pages (300 threads) - is this because I have changed a setting accidentally?

Thanks
Z

There are more and more posts made here every day--note that there are currently 2,083,899 individual *posts* in the Excel Questions forum alone. It's quite possible you will get many results in a search.

That being said, the built-in search function isn't always the best. We've also recommended simply searching the site via google. That is, just go to google and search "site:mrexcel.com your keywords here" (without the quotes).

Thanks VP. I know the board is well used - and there's good reason why!

I guess I was just frustrated as I always seemed to find the solution on here and it's proving hard and time consuming these days...

No worries. I'll try the google route and I'm sure I'll be on here as much as ever

cheers
Z

If you are constantly returning that many matches, you may not be refining your searches enough. Are you using the Advanced Search options?

I often limit my search to "Search Titles Only" when doing a keyword search, and that often helps. Also try using more keywords, the more descriptive, the better.

Hey thanks Joe - I'll be sure to try the 'titles only' search - I didn't realise that existed?!

Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back