Forum doesn't make it easy to add excel tables

strooman

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Thanks, but if a forum dedicated to Excel doesn't make it easy to add excel tables (apparently it is required to get an answer) without installing addons or programs to convert it to HTML OR allow you to upload a file like other excel forums do then this may not be the right place for such questions.

And if the detailed information I provided including actual formulas doing 90% of the work already and an image of the actual fields isn't enough for someone to help then it is clear that no one here has the answer or knows how to first dedupe then filter results in excel. (the formulas I've provided already do each of these separately)

I apologize. I was under the impression that the "Excel Questions" forum was the correct place to submit these kinds of questions.

Thanks anyway...

I saw this remark and I want to make some comment on it.

The OP sure has a point that the explanation how to create a decent excel table with "Copy-Borders-Paste" could be more precise. The first time I tried it that way it was a big failure. Luckily my excel and html/BBcode knowledge is enough to handle it and look for a solution myself. But for an Excel novice it could be explained a little bit better.

As far as posting compleet workbooks as an attachment. That's a "No-no" for me. I see that option in some excel forums and the problem is that you don't see a lot of "Live" solutions. For example, the OP posts a question and the answer most of the time is: "Look at the attached workbook".
For me it's very satisfying to see people post their knowledge, formulas or code snippets within the reply. It makes the overall discussion better to follow.

Last, the OP is a little bit annoyed because of the questions he gets thrown at him. Well, I see those questions only as an effort to get the problem clear on the table so that the respondent can give a better and suitable answer to the Op's question. Nothing wrong with that. Now, the OP doubts if this is the correct forum to answer his question. In my view this is one of the top forums concerning Excel so I advice him te re-evaluate his question and poste a decent screenshot because the link didn't work either.

My only comment on the whole upload a file... no. I wouldn't open one really anyway, given that they can be something you aren't expecting.

I guess i'd like the ability to request the file, from someone... and have it turn up in my messages... maybe, but as a rule, i wouldn't like to seem them either.

I'm moving this thread to the 'About This Board' forum where I think it fits better, and adding my own comment.

Given this forum ..
- is by far the most popular (that is number of posts per day and number of members) Excel forum of any I normally visit
- possesses by far the most number of Microsoft Excel MVPs of any Excel forum I visit
- has less arguments and less 'admonishing' from moderators than other Excel forums as far as I can see
.. I think the set-up here must be pretty right.

I am definitely against being able to attach workbooks. Shadow mentioned answers of the kind "Look at the attached workbook". File attachments would also lead to questions of the kind "Look at the attached workbook, you'll see what I'm trying to do" - which is usually not the case in my experience. Forcing users to write about their issue and condense it to a small sample screen shot if necessary forces them to focus on the precise nature of their issue.

Note: The Borders-Copy-Paste instructions are difficult to maintain (by volunteers) as the precise operation of it varies with different browsers and browser versions (which are forever changing) as well as the forum software version and the user's individual settings within the forum software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back