FormulaR1C1 wrong?

NinaE_11

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I'm able to step through this code using F8, however, when running the sub-routine by pressing F5, it chokes on the last line: I can't figure out what the error is: My data starts in F8 and goes down to rows 62...I want the subtotal of that list for rows from the bottom of list. Thank you for any insight!

Dim Total As Long
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim firstrow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1)

ws.Activate

'Total Market Values and Percentages
Total = Range("F8").End(xlDown).Row
Range("F" & Total).Offset(4).FormulaR1C1 = "=sum(r8c:r[-4]c)"

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
r will be the row of whatever cell is active when the macro runs as you haven't moved the active cell to the last cell

Upvote 0
Try (untested as on my phone)...
"=sum(r8c:r" & Total & "c)"

Upvote 0
Actually I wasn't thinking straight in post 2 as the r will be relative to the cell the formula resides in, both the original formula and the one I posted work for me when using continuous data.
Do you have continuous data i.e. no blank cells in column F? and is the sheet that you are working on the tab that is the furthest left as you look at it?

Because of the above both the questions asked in posts 5 & 6 still stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I wasn't thinking straight in post 2 as the r will be relative to the cell the formula resides in, both the original formula and the one I posted work for me when using continuous data.
Do you have continuous data i.e. no blank cells in column F? and is the sheet that you are working on the tab that is the furthest left as you look at it?

Because of the above both the questions asked in posts 5 & 6 still stand.
Continuous Data: Starting in Cell F8, I have no blank cells in the F column until the end of the list. I thought I was telling it to start at Row8, in the same column with the"=sum(r8c...." ?

By 'choking' - I mean that I cannot get the sub routine to run on it's own using F5; I can step through it, and the formula acts as expected (using F8), but I'm trying to link a number of Private Sub Routines together to call upon individual sub routines to create a larger script.
The error is a mismatched error; Watch window Value says "<Application-defined or object-defined error>"

Upvote 0
Do you have the code in a regular module or a sheet module?

Upvote 0
What is the actual (verified, not assumed ;)) value of Total when the error occurs? My guess would be that you are doing something that refreshes data and it hasn't populated when this code runs so Total is the last row of the sheet, and you can't offset 4 from that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back