Formula to read "TRUE/FALSE" results from other formulas, issue with blank cells read as "TRUE" results for date comparison formula

testermonkey

I think I'm over-complicating a series of formulas I wrote to save time for myself.

My job is to e-mail the customer each week when Task A or Task B is completed on Projects A-F. The real spreadsheet has dozens of tasks and it's time-consuming to filter column-by-column for new dates, so I'm writing formulas to remove some of the labor.

See a simplified screenshot of a the spreadsheet I use and my columns with my formulas:

2wqdici.jpg

These are the formulas I've made in the above screenshot:

HTML:
<TABLE><TR><TD><B>part of the spreadsheet</b></TD><TD>how i typed it</tD><TD><B>what it does</b></tD></TR><TR><TD>Cell B10</TD><tD>just typed a date</tD><TD>Contains the date of the last report I e-mailed to the customer</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Column A</TD><TD>=AND((G2<>""), (G2>$B$10)) </TD><TD> I check if Task A has been completed since the date in B10. I test for blank cells ("G2<>"") because I was finding that I'd get false positives if I didn't eliminate blank cells.</TD></TR>
<tR><TD>Column B</TD><TD>=AND((H2>$B$10), (H2<>""))</TD><TD>I check if Task B has been completed since the date in B10 and for blankc ells, same as the other</TD></TR>

<tr><TD>Column C</TD><TD>=OR(D2=TRUE, E2=TRUE)</TD><TD>I check if there is a "TRUE" in columns D or E (meaning that the formulas in Columns A or B found a new date)</tD></TR>
<TR><TD>Columns D, E</TD><TD>Values from A, B pasted over as "values only"</TD><TD>This is something I feel has to have an answer in formulas. I found that the formula in column C couldn't find the "TRUE" or "FALSE" results of the column A and B formulas, so I copy and paste the results as values into D and E in the mean-time. </TD></TR>

<TR><TD>Columns F, G, H</TD><TD>Project information</TD><TD>These contain the project ID and the dates for the tasks, no formulas from me here</tD></TR>
</TABLE>

Afterwards, I send a cleaned-up spreadsheet to my customer filtered for rows where column C returns "TRUE."

I think I'm over-complicating this for myself. Is there a way I can eliminate the step where I paste the values into columns D and E? Do I use nested "IF" formulas? I googled this yesterday at the end of my shift but I think I was not using the correct terms because I didn't find relevant results.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I'm so frustrated by myself! I meant to make a nice HTML table to explain my screenshot but instead that showed up.

Cell B10: I type the date of the last report I e-mailed to the customer

Column A: Contains formula
=AND((G2<>""), (G2>$B$10)) This checks if Task A has been completed since the date in B10. I test for blank cells ("G2<>"") because I was finding that I'd get false positives if I didn't eliminate blank cells.

Column B: Contains formula =AND((H2<>""), (H2>$B$10)) Same as column A, except it checks for Task B.

Column C: Contains formula
=OR(D2=TRUE, E2=TRUE). I check if there is a "TRUE" in columns D or E (meaning that the formulas in Columns A or B found a new date.

Column D, E: Values from A, B are pasted over in these columns.
I found that the formula in column C couldn't find the "TRUE" or "FALSE" results of the column A and B formulas, so I copy and paste the results as values into D and E in the mean-time.

Column F, G, H: Project information I reference for the formulas.

Upvote 0
Addl note:
I'm using Excel as part of the Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 suite on Windows 10 Enterprise.

I apologize that I rushed into this post. I'm thoroughly embarrassed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back