Formula Problem: Not this address but the other, and blank if no address

RLCornish

I'm putting together a workbook where I can load one sheet (raw data) and then in another sheet (product) extract the information I need for a specific format.

The thought process is if the 1st address contains "Box", as in PO Box, then pull back the 2nd address. The criteria I'm using to look up is a unique ID. However, if there's no criteria to look up then rather than N/A show the cell as blank.

I worked out the formula to look thru the 1st address and if "Box" is contained pull back the 2nd address. However, I can't figure out how to incorporate ISNA, or whatever formula is best here, to eliminate the N/A. Here's the working formula to get the right address...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BOX",VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$H$12000,5,0))),VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$T$12000,13,0),VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$L$12000,5,0))

This formula brings back "556 HEATHER GROVE CT" (this is the 1st address), as it should. If there's no criteria, or unique ID, this brings back N/A.

I tried dropping ISNA right after the first IF. Here's what that looked like (messy)...

=IF(ISNA(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BOX",VLOOKUP($A55,MASTER!$D$2:$H$12000,5,0)))," ")),IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BOX",VLOOKUP($A55,MASTER!$D$2:$H$12000,5,0))),VLOOKUP($A55,MASTER!$D$2:$T$12000,13,0),VLOOKUP($A55,MASTER!$D$2:$L$12000,5,0)))

This formula just gives me FALSE, which is true in as much as it's not N/A, but I want the address to come back, not the word FALSE

I'm stuck and don't know what the formula should look like to eliminate the N/A and replace it with a blank. I feel like it's something simple that I'm missing but I've been staring at this for far too long, and need some help. :confused:

RLCornish

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Welcome to the Forum

Try

=Iferror(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("BOX",VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$H$12000,5,0))),VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$T$12000,13,0),VLOOKUP($A54,MASTER!$D$2:$L$12000,5,0)),"")

Upvote 0
OMG, Red, that is perfect!!! As with many I'm sure, I'm completely self-taught so I haven't used the IFERROR formula before. But be sure, I'll be reading up on why that works, but now I am thrilled to have a solution. Thank you so much!!! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back