Formula for MPG with dynamic distance variable

britomart

Hi everyone. I'm horrible with math and am very rusty at Excel. I apologize in advance for asking such an easy question and my ignorance.

I'm using Excel '07 and trying to compute the monthly cost of my drive to work.

The problem is that I need to change the distance traveled per computation. I have about 4 sheets that utilize different distances. The distance is placed in cell B4 on each sheet.

So, this is what I've come up with but I can't seem to create an Excel formula. Any help will be greatly welcomed.

Distance is X (let's say 32 miles for example). Gas is $2.70 per gallon. My car gets 30 mpg. I use 2-4 gallons per day.

First, I'd calculate the daily amount then the amount of days traveled within the month to calculate the monthly cost.

So, this is what I worked out in my addled brain:

Code:
=B4(2.7*2)*21.5 (the number of days driven to work)

However, I come out with a total of over $3,000. What am I doing wrong? What would the correct formula be?

Thank you for any help. I'll greatly, greatly appreciate it.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Something like this??

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:131px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /><col style="width:93px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Days driven to work</td><td >Distance</td><td >MPG</td><td >Gas cost</td><td >Trip use</td><td >Trip Cost</td><td >Daily use</td><td >Daily cost</td><td >Monthly use</td><td >Monthly cost</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">                              21.50 </td><td style="text-align:right; ">                 32.00 </td><td style="text-align:right; ">                 30.00 </td><td style="text-align:right; "> $                2.70 </td><td style="text-align:right; ">                    1.07 </td><td style="text-align:right; "> $                2.88 </td><td style="text-align:right; ">                    2.13 </td><td style="text-align:right; "> $                5.76 </td><td style="text-align:right; ">                 45.87 </td><td style="text-align:right; "> $            123.84 </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >E2</td><td >=(1/C2)*B2</td></tr><tr><td >F2</td><td >=(D2/C2)*B2</td></tr><tr><td >G2</td><td >=(<span style=' color:008000; '>(1/C2)</span>*B2)*2</td></tr><tr><td >H2</td><td >=(<span style=' color:008000; '>(D2/C2)</span>*B2)*2</td></tr><tr><td >I2</td><td >=(<span style=' color:008000; '>(<span style=' color:#0000ff; '>(1/C2)</span>*B2)</span>*2)*A2</td></tr><tr><td >J2</td><td >=(<span style=' color:008000; '>(<span style=' color:#0000ff; '>(D2/C2)</span>*B2)</span>*2)*A2</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
A little more detailed than I was expecting, but I think that will work!

Thanks a lot Blade. You saved me a huge migraine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back