Formula for conditional hyperlink based on validity of link target?

cbrf23

Board Regular
Is there a way, without using VBA, to validate a link with a formula? Something that checks the target exists?

I've got a table with a column that uses the HYPERLINK formula to create a link to a file.
This works great, except with one problem. When the file is "closed" (this is our ECRN document storage if anyone is curious) it gets moved to another folder (not my choice, and I have to work with the system as designed).
So, when that happens, the link will no longer work.

There might not be any way to do this without VBA - if so it is what it is.

I'm not going to use VBA because this is a workbook accessed by multiple users and I've had problems in the past with macros in workbooks like this due to someone not hitting the "enable macro" button when they open the file. Then I get phone calls like "why isn't this working??" and I have to stop what I'm doing to fix it for them. I don't need the interruptions for stuff like that, so I'm not using any UDFs or other macros for anything in this book.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
So I'll assume from the lack of responses that it can't be done - but if I'm missing something or someone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Just to reiterate if my original post wasn't clear, I'm looking for a way to check if the target of a hyperlink (file) is valid using a formula.

I'm just wondering, since excel seems to be able to be able to catch the exception and presents a "This file could not be opened" message.
But, without VBA it's probably not possible.

Thanks!

p.s. If I get time maybe I'll write an add-in to distribute with a link validation UDF.
My job is not IT, and I just hate having to do the maintenance and troubleshooting when custom programs get broken.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back