Formula Calculation is Inadvertently Switching from Automatic to Manual...

MNexcelguy19

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I use a workbook that creates a comparison of two cash flow scenarios for personal financial planning. In order to isolate or identify a specific strategy, I essentially am starting with two identical scenarios. This way, I can make a slight change to the second scenario, comparing it to the first, understanding that only the single variable that I adjusted is the reason for the difference.

My normal process is to enter the data while BOTH sheets are selected - call them Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 - so by the end of my cash flow period, Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 are identical, even though I've only had to enter the data once. While I am entering the data (only numbers), I use both manually entered numbers and formulas (i.e. sometimes I will type in "-20000" while other times I will type =-A1-A2-A3...etc.). If I am at a point where the formula is constant, I will also 'drag' the formula across columns like I've always done.

In either case, my workbook ALWAYS has the following settings:
- Formulas > Automatic Calculations
- Formulas > Enable iterative calculation > Yes

These settings allow the workbook to update in real-time and it's worked smoothly for years....that is until around August 1st or 2nd. There were release notes about an update from Version 2407, August 1st - ever since this update occurred (even though there was no mention of this sort of thing), these formula settings of mine have NOT been working as expected.

My main issue is that, even when both of the above settings are the same, when I select a second worksheet, the 'Automatic Calculations' setting inadvertently switches to manual.

Can I use the 'F9' shortcut to push the calculation through? Sure, I guess. But that's not really the point.

Now, I either have to double my output (i.e. enter the data twice) or take the risk of entering data that gets entered 'sloppy' if I forget to manually calculate/refresh the workbook or if someone else is using it and forgets to use F9.

If I'm working in one sheet, my calculations are done automatically but when ever I select a second, it's switching in the background and frankly, I don't understand why this is an issue at all.

Before anyone asks:
- yes, I've made sure that the file is saved with the settings appropriately,
- yes, I'm opening up only one Excel file at a time,
- I'm using the desktop, enterprise version of MS 365
- I'm aware that if I were using Excel online, this is a moot point because we can't select more than 1 sheet (which is why I use the desktop version)

Is there anything else I can do to make sure these settings don't switch on me? What am I missing? Am I the only one who thinks this is a bigger issue than it really is?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back