Forms- getting last instant of data and putting it into next, in a one to many relationship using VBA

farmerscott

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys,

Using Access 2007 with low to intermediate skills in VBA.

I have a situation where I enter a lot of data that often repeats itself, but I can't "hard wire" the values. I hope that makes sense.

I want to be able to click over (on the many side of the form) and have a checkbox that says "Do you want to repeat the values?" The values would be pasted in and I could then make any minor adjustments. The start of the code might look like-

Code:
Private Sub Check58_Click()
Dim DateFilled As Date
Dim DateSprayed As Date

If Check58 = True Then
DateFilled = Date_Filled.Value 'get last instance from previous entry.
DateSprayed = Date_Sprayed.Value 'get last instance from previous entry.

End If
End Sub

Any thoughts on how you might approach this? I am thinking I can save the data (in VBA) and then paste it into the new/empty form.

cheers

FarmerScott

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The way I have done this in the past is to have a checkbox on the form.
Then code in the afterupdate event of any controls where I want to copy over the data.

Below is a sample of my code.

HTH

Code:
Private Sub Date_ID_AfterUpdate()
    If Me.chkCopy Then
        Me![Date_ID].DefaultValue = """" & Me![Date_ID].Value & """"
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub Rank_ID_AfterUpdate()
    If Me.chkCopy Then
        Me![Rank_ID].DefaultValue = """" & Me![Rank_ID].Value & """"
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
But you want to copy over the same data multiple times, right?
And the many side is a subform with a set of records, but one field is either blank or you want to edit?
Or it is a subform, but there are no records and you want to copy over one value many times and create that many records?
Or...??

Upvote 0
Welshgasguy and Micron,

Thanks for your input/comments.

Essentially I want some code that will copy data on a subform. When I make an instance of a new subform (but still relating to the the same main/parent form) I want the data automatically inputted.

The checkbox code above looks to be copying the data, I now need some change event (eg new instance of a subform) that will input the data.

Another basic coding idea I have is....on the new/empty subform a checkbox/messagebox is used in conjuction with Dlast or DFirst to get the most recent data from a table.

Hope that helps,

FarmerScott

Upvote 0
Well it does, but as I tab through the controls and get on to the new record the controls are automatically populated.

I created this code as I created a database for a website of mine
The structure of the table was
ID
DateID
ShipID
RankID
CrewID

The ShipID would remain the same for about 12 to 15 crew and the DateID would remain the same for about 20 ships.
Cut down on the data entry a hell of a lot. :D
The checkbox code above looks to be copying the data, I now need some change event (eg new instance of a subform) that will input the data.

TBH I think this process is exactly what you want, unless I have misunderstood your requirements.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Welshgasman,

Sorry, I underestimated your code. Still have a lot to learn about VBA....

Some quick questions...

1. Where does the code go? In the module or in the form?

2. We are making an after-update change event for each control we want to copy? (I assume we can't bundle all these together in a single change event as they are being updated at different times.)

3. Should
Code:
If Me.chkCopy Then
be
Code:
If Me.chkCopy=true Then

Code:
Me.
is a reference to a form?

5. Why the double quotes and use of the &?
Code:
"""" & Me![Rank_ID].Value & """"

6. Will this work on continuous forms?

cheers

FarmerScott

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. I put mine in a form. I suppose you could put it in a module and pass the form and control, but start small and work your way up. :D
2. That is just the way I did it. I am new to Access as well. You could try putting the code in the afterupdate event of the form for all controls. I only had two after all.
3. You can write it that way, but my way means the same and less typing.
4. Yes, the form you are on.
5. That is just what is needed for it to work. Both those controls hold a numeric ID, but you still need them. I gleaned that from a Google. Another way Microsoft Access tips: Assign default values from the last record
6. Not sure, not used them yet. Did try, but found code for one record affected others, so stuck to datasheet forms.

HTH

Edit. Reviewing 5 this link https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/repeat-data-on-next-record.3169504/ seems to indicate that quotes are not needed for numeric data, which I am now aware of, but it works, and that data is definitely numeric. The table just consist of 4 ID fields to link Ships,Date,Rank and Crew.

I might review that, but the DB is complete now.
Hi Welshgasman,

Sorry, I underestimated your code. Still have a lot to learn about VBA....

Some quick questions...

1. Where does the code go? In the module or in the form?

2. We are making an after-update change event for each control we want to copy? (I assume we can't bundle all these together in a single change event as they are being updated at different times.)

3. Should
Code:
If Me.chkCopy Then
be
Code:
If Me.chkCopy=true Then

Code:
Me.
is a reference to a form?

5. Why the double quotes and use of the &?
Code:
"""" & Me![Rank_ID].Value & """"

6. Will this work on continuous forms?

cheers

FarmerScott

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Welshgasman,

thanks for the detailed response. Much to test, learn and think about.

Will get back to you..

cheers

FarmerScott

Upvote 0
and that data is definitely numeric.
This is a tricky one. It looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck but it might be a chicken. You have to go by the data type property, not how the data looks. If the field data type is text and the value is 123, quotes are needed. If the type is long (or any other numeric type) you will raise a 'data type mismatch' error if you use quotes around a number. You can run the function IsNumeric (123) or IsNumeric ("123") and the answer is TRUE in both cases, even though quotes are used. That's because the function evaluates whether or not the value being tested resembles a number. It does not prove that the data type is numeric. To make matters worse, Isnumeric (a123) is TRUE, while IsNumeric ("a123") is FALSE. I can't explain that one.

Furthermore, text data type isn't the best choice for numerals but sometimes it can't be avoided. It introduces sorting issues, because numerically, 20 comes before 100 when the type is a number, but 100 comes before 20 if the type is text. Usually, you have to introduce some kind of sorting field to get around it.

Upvote 0
All I can say is the form is based on a table that has only 4 keys, all long integer, and it works. Now not sure how, but it works. :confused:

I can't find where I got it from now. I'll make a note of this for my next project, but I am going to leave the the db as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back