Formatting

holla

Board Regular
I need to format a date, but to actually change the value of the cell, rather than what it appears like. I would think there is something in excel to kind of drop the formatting and just leave the format as the value of the cell, but I had a post earlier which noone has responded to in a while, and noone knew how to do that. I am importing a date as 3/24/2003 and I want it to change to mm/dd/yy format, 03/24/03, but I want the actul cell to be that rather than what it looks like, it will be the actual value of the cell. I need this because I am saving the file as a .csv file, but then am sending it to someone else, so I can not control the settings on their computer. I would imagine that if there isnt a built in function in excel to do it, then a macro could do it.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
How about using something like:

=MONTH(A3)&"/"&DAY(A3)&"/"&YEAR(A3)

where the date you want to convert is in cell A3.

You could then copy | pastespecial | values prior to exporting to .csv format

Neville

Upvote 0
Regarding dropping formatting:

Excel actually stores dates as numbers, specifically the number of days since January 1, 1900. To see this, highlight any date you have entered and change the formatting to General (which is the default).

This probably doesn't help you with your problem any, but just explains how Excel handles date values.

Upvote 0
Actually - a minor modification to the formula I posted earleir may be i order - this will place a "0" in front of the month (if less than 10) and truncate the year to two digits, rather than four.

=IF(MONTH(A3)<10,"0"&MONTH(A3)&"/"&DAY(A3)&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR(A3),2),MONTH(A3)&"/"&DAY(A3)&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR(A3),2))

I hope this helps

Upvote 0
nevillestoke said:
Actually - a minor modification to the formula I posted earleir may be i order - this will place a "0" in front of the month (if less than 10) and truncate the year to two digits, rather than four.

=IF(MONTH(A3)<10,"0"&MONTH(A3)&"/"&DAY(A3)&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR(A3),2),MONTH(A3)&"/"&DAY(A3)&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR(A3),2))

I hope this helps

=TEXT(A3,"mm/dd/yy")

Upvote 0
Mark,

Sometimes the simplest answers elude us (or at least me) - I like your response much better, and it obviously accomplishes the same result.

The differences we exhibit are what makes the world go round - At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers - Neville.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back