Format Cells To Show Date

rxsurf

I am using Mac Excel 2004. I was given a pre-formatted spread sheet to work on that has columns with dates stored in it. Some of the date columns are formatted as general and others are formatted as date.

The ones that are formatted as date display the excel 1900 date storage number in the cell and show the actual date in the formula bar. So in the cell the excel storage number is 40178 and the formula bar shows the date 12/31/2009. I need the date and not the storage number to display in each of the cells.

I have highlighted the entire G column with the date storage numbers G3:G200 and tried to change the date format but it does not remove the storage numbers. I have tried to change the entire column to the General format, but when I do that each cell becomes the storage number and looses its connection to the date.

My question is how do I get the actual date to show in the cells, for example 12/31/09 instead of the excel storage number 40178?

Thanks to whom ever may have an answer

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Welcome to the Board!

I'm not well versed in MAC, but you can try (on a copy of your workbook)-->format your cells as the date format you want, then Data-->Text to columns-->Finish.

If that doesn't work, then you can also step through the Text to Columns Wizard and on the third step there's a date conversion menu, although I don't know if that's in the MAC version.

Hopefully Mike Erickson, the local MAC guru will see this and chime in. :)

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back