Format an AutoNumber Field

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can you format the AutoNumber field, in a table, to be 5 characters?

Example: The number 1 would show as 00001.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Not sure why you'd need to format it in a table. If you are exposing this to users, you can format the value in a form or report. But an autonumber field is always going to be a ... yep, number. ;)

Upvote 0
You can apply the Format function to it in a Query calculated field or VBA like:
Code:
Format([ID],"00000")

There shouldn't be any need to apply a custom format to it in the underlying table, as users should not be going directly in to the Table to access of view the data anyway.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Are you saying I can only do this in a query or VB and I cannot format the field in the Table properties?

PS. The formatting question isn't limited to formatting an Autonumber field

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's right - for a number field. You should never need to format a field in a table, as Joe says above. You can format anything you want for the users in a form / report / query. I'd guess I'd ask why you feel like you need to format a field in a table?

Upvote 0
I created a new field that pulls the AutoNumber in and in that fields format I put 00000

That seems to be working

Thanks

Upvote 0
You can format an AutoNumber field, just put 00000 (or whatever) in the Format section of the field's properties while in design mode.

Upvote 0
+ think about whatever might happen when numbers get bigger than 99999 (if that is possible). Also, whether a number is 00001 or 99999 it's not a particularly pleasant format :(

EDIT I.e., if you get numbers gibber than 99999 with a format of "00000" I think they will still display correctly (probably as 100000, 1000001, ...). But why are you using a five character format is the question - and I assume the answer is that you expect numbers never to exceed five digits. And as stated above, pretty much you should not care about the format of a primary key autonumber field in a table because that's not something users should ever look at directly in a table itself. But if that format carries through to all your queries, forms and reports maybe you can make the case that it will be convenient.

EDIT: sp>bigger

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back