Form - Security for individual fields

stapuff

I am trying to create a form that has fields that are user(s) specific.
I would need to be able to assign multiple passwords (by field / per field) that recoginize the user by the password.

Example would be:

Field 1 - 5 can be editted by 4 users only. {4 Machine Operators}
Field 6-10 can eddited by 3 different users only. {3 Quality Tech's}
Field 11 can be approved by 2 different users only. {2 Shift Supervisors}

Each would have their own password that would idetify the user editting.

Is there any code that would allow for this?

:rolleyes: :oops:

stapuff

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Sure, but it may not be necessary to code passwords.
One angle could be to use your network logins and then in the form_open event set the individual field properties to .Locked = True depending on the security level of the userids.

Best approach would probably be to build a table with each userid and their 'access level' and use the access level to define which group to assign them to.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your response.

I have approx. 200 operators that do not have network logins. My attempt is to have "dummy stations" on the shop floor that have icons to send you to the correct forms needed.

Examples:
Safety Concerns
Rework
Maintenance Issues

I would like to give the operators the ability to communicate the problems they see, however, once the form entries have been created by them I need the department(s) responsible for the problem address them, track them, and be held accountable if not corrected.

I will try the "Best Approach" idea and use the operators # as the userid to create a access level.

If any other idea's pop up - I would greatly appreciate them.

Stapuff

Upvote 0
Here's a code segment to look at that gives you either a network ID or a machine name.
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=78067&highlight=user

Reading into your comment, some users may have network ID's - but in most cases you're only going to have a unique workstation ID at best. What if you defaulted users to a given level unless they typed a password?

You could then choose to either .Lock=True or .Visible=False (can't even see the fields) depending on need. Tracking workstation ID might allow you to auto-identify which group is likely to be using the workstation although I completely understand how that may not always be certain.

Access does include some built in security that requires logins open opening the application, and, you can easily grant/deny access to entire forms - or be more specific with VBA to control access to specific fields.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Assy Bissy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back