For the love of all that is holy... please enable self-edit...

spyrule

Board Regular
Sorry guys,

I love this forum, as the users are amazing. The only thing driving me bonkers is the lack of self-editing option.

vBulletin has the ability to allow users to edit their own posts if its newer than a certain age (most forums I use, alllow for 1 week, and some allow the thread creator to edit all the time).

Is there ANY way to enable this functionality?

See Jeffrey's link. The board rules have been changed so that new members can't edit their posts until a certain post count has been reached. This isn't to punish new members, but hamper spammers who will post, then immediately edit to add their spam links.

See Jeffrey's link. The board rules have been changed so that new members can't edit their posts until a certain post count has been reached. This isn't to punish new members, but hamper spammers who will post, then immediately edit to add their spam links.

Fair enough, however there is tools that are MUCH more effective than limiting your user base. (Just FYI, I've admin'd several Forums in the past, so this is coming from experience, not just opinion).

I can't seem to find what the post count needed actually is though....

In my experience on other boards, edited posts frequently destroy the context of responses that appear prior to the edit. I prefer that the time remain short.

In my experience on other boards, edited posts frequently destroy the context of responses that appear prior to the edit. I prefer that the time remain short.

Oh I agree, you don't want it too long. In this Forum, users shouldn't need a long-term edit access anyway.

What is the minimum required posts, to be allowed to edit?

Dunno, but once allowed, it's only available for 10 minutes.

Oh I agree, you don't want it too long. In this Forum, users shouldn't need a long-term edit access anyway.

What is the minimum required posts, to be allowed to edit?

That information will not be publicized. Then, all the spammer have to do is make enough posts that we have to clean up before they post the real spam.

…. this topic has been brought up time after time.
Here are some examples…
This is the way the board runs and it won't change, and IMHO, it's seems just fine. :cool:

_ . some other recent discussions on this:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/830361-board-wish-list-3.html#post4285667
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/859781-i-cant-delete-thread-comments.html
_. I guess we have to except a couple of things along the lines of what you say about changes not going to happen:
_1) Most Mods are amazing at answering a large number of Threads often in a daily basis, they have lots to do , all voluntarily , so asking for changes and / or more work in administrating those new things is just not on.
_2 ) As I think Joe4 and a few Mods recently pointed out – “ Don’t fix it if it is not broken “ - I think we have seen the disastrous results of tampering with similar vBulletin Software “over there”. ( although ironically many other smaller Software Features there suit me much better.. – when they work!!! )
_3) Related to the others, we must sympathies with Mods sometimes getting naffed off having to revisit these suggestions, but at the risk of doing that , I do feel the participation in such a Sub Forum and still making the suggestions is to be encouraged.
So just again IMVHO:
Edit Time should be a bit bigger, and ( again just wish stuff for an ideal world ) it should increase with Posts up to one or two hours, with a strict rule ( punishable with loss of all edit privileges for ever ), that only Typos and the such should be allowed, and nothing that could be to the determent of others Replying on the thread.

But it should definitely be a lot less than at other boards, you are right that this difference along with IMO the strong encouragement to keep as much info in a thread with a larger ( unlimited I think – despite my efforts I have never found it ) post size.. And the enabled HTML , Mr HTML Screenshot maker and other Tools, rather than allowing the “please see attached File “ scenario to creep in with Attatchments..

Alan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nachohoyu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back