Foot/Inch decimal to fraction conversion In Formula

TheTiredEngineer

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this bit of formula that converts a decimal form of feet/inches to feet and inches, but it doesnt want to convert 12" to 1 ft for some odd reason. Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong here?

So like 80.999 ft should be 81 ft not 80ft, 12".

Excel Formula:
ROUNDDOWN(dia,0)&"' "&ROUND(MOD(dia,1)*12,0)&"""")

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
If your number is "ROUNDDOWN" with a 0 in the second argument, the value that it returns can NEVER be bigger than the integer portion of your formula.
If you start with 80.999, the ROUNDDOWN function will not return anything bigger than 80 in that formula.
So I think we need to check, and if the inches calculation returns 12, to add one to our feet.

Since you are using Excel 365, we can use the LET function to shorten this a little, like this:
Excel Formula:
=LET(i,ROUND(MOD(dia,1)*12,0),IF(i=12,ROUNDDOWN(dia,0)+1&"' 0" & """",ROUNDDOWN(dia,0)&"' "&i&""""))

Upvote 1
Solution
This is my first attempt
=LET(REM,ROUNDUP((dia-INT(dia))*12,1),I,INT(dia)+IF(REM>=12,1,0),I&IF(REM=12,"","' "&(ROUNDUP((dia-INT(dia))*12,2)&CHAR(34))))

Upvote 1
If your number is "ROUNDDOWN" with a 0 in the second argument, the value that it returns can NEVER be bigger than the integer portion of your formula.
If you start with 80.999, the ROUNDDOWN function will not return anything bigger than 80 in that formula.
So I think we need to check, and if the inches calculation returns 12, to add one to our feet.

Since you are using Excel 365, we can use the LET function to shorten this a little, like this:
Excel Formula:
=LET(i,ROUND(MOD(dia,1)*12,0),IF(i=12,ROUNDDOWN(dia,0)+1&"' 0" & """",ROUNDDOWN(dia,0)&"' "&i&""""))
Perfect! That worked exactly like I wanted. I guess Im trying to understand the code now, so whats the Let doing?

Upvote 0
LET helps you create variables that store Arrays, strings, numbers and such so you can use them multiple times in your formula. In Joe's formula "i" is used to store the value of the remainder after the whole number rounded. This prevents the same calculation from being performed multiple times

Upvote 1
LET helps you create variables that store Arrays, strings, numbers and such so you can use them multiple times in your formula. In Joe's formula "i" is used to store the value of the remainder after the whole number rounded. This prevents the same calculation from being performed multiple times
LET is a brilliant addition to Excel.

Upvote 0
My suggestion when trying to use the LET function. Make your formula with all the raw calculations, then once you have tested it and resolved all the possibilities you can add in the variables. You know how you can edit a formula, highlight a part of the formula, and Excel will show you the result above it? Well, Excel won't show you the result if it includes a variable.

The other day I learned another drawback. LET stores Ranges as Arrays like {12.3;1.5;0.14,9.98}. So, functions like Countif use ranges and won't work right if you store a range into a variable.

Other than that, I think LET is very useful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikhil excel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back