Finding the start of second list after xlDown

Ssignore08

Hi all,

First time commenter, but I've learned a lot from reading other posts. I have a question that could cut my processing time in half, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

I have data in columns P and R starting in row 3 and going a random length. I want to perform SUMPRODUCT on the two ranges:
Set range1 = Range("P3", Range("P3").End(xlDown)).Select

Set range2 = Range("R3", Range("R3").End(xlDown)).Select

The tricky part is that I have a second set of data that starts 3 rows below the end of the previous data set and is also a random length. I also want to be able to perform a SUMPRODUCT on those ranges. Is there a way to use offset language with xldown? Can you use xldown twice in the same call?

something like:

Set range3 = Range(Range("P3").End(xlDown).Offset(3,0), Range("P3").End(xlDown).Offset(3,0).End(xlDown)).Select

If xldown can't be used twice in the same call then could the "selection" be useful?

I know I didn't post the SUMPRODUCT code, but that's not my concern here, I'm just wondering if finding those next two ranges is possible b/c if not, then my code is already optimal.

Since I currently just have 1 dataset per excel printout I am using the following code to do sumproduct manually for rows 5 to 43 (dataset length is random, but never exceeds 38 rows) and putting the result in cell(45,16). I then assign that value to a variable to use later in the code. I know I couldve used xldown in my ranges here, but I wrote this before I knew much, so I used record macro and was afraid of messing with it.

Range("P5").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-5]*RC[-6]"
Range("P5").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("P5:P43"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("P5:P43").Select
Range("P45").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-40]C:R[-2]C)"

'Copy cell P45 into the correct spot
Sleep 200
q = Cells(45, 16)

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I tried posting without looking at my spreadsheet, column P is where I was performing the manual sumproduct, the data is actually in columns J and K, not P and R, but that doesnt affect the question of whether I can find the second set of ranges correctly

Upvote 0
Yes you can chain End().

Code:
Sub RangeTest()
    Set rng1 = Range(Range("P3"), Range("P3").End(xlDown))
    Debug.Print rng1.Address

Set rng2 = Range(Range("P3").End(xlDown).Offset(4, 0), Range("P3").End(xlDown).Offset(4, 0).End(xlDown))
    Debug.Print rng2.Address
End Sub

By the way you have .Select in your assignment statement - invalid code.

Upvote 0
Assuming your values are constants (not formulas), you could do it this way as well...
Code:
Sub RangeTest()

Dim DataRanges As Range, Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range

Set DataRanges = Columns("P").SpecialCells(xlConstants)

Set Rng1 = DataRanges.Areas(1)
  Debug.Print Rng1.Address

Set Rng2 = DataRanges.Areas(2)
  Debug.Print Rng2.Address

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back