Finding first blank cell within a (Sumproduct(Sumif( formula

Pommy

=ROUND((SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:DZ11))),0)

The above formula works great, never any issues, however, there are thousands of them and as such it's slow. I'm hoping there is an alternative to having to specify the cell range U11:DZ11 and instead of saying that the last cell is DZ11, it would only go as far as the first blank cell. For instance in the above formula range U11:DZ11, only the first three columns are populated, ie. only U11 & V11 & W11 contain any data, all columns after that are blank, so ideally it would say U11:W11. But on the row below it, the first 75 columns are in use. So i'm effectively using a catch all range of U11:DZ11 forumla as i don't want to have to go through thousands of rows adjusting the U11:DZ11 to the specific number of columns, as this would take several days to achieve.

I was wondering if the Offset function would work, i'm utterly useless with Offset i hasten to add, despite reading many websites on how to use. A colleague suggested (i think) Index and Match, but again i have no idea how to use those functions either.

Any help appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
It looks like the SUMPRODUCT function in your formula does not serve a purpose

Upvote 0
I assure you, it will not work without it, i just tried. At first i was inclined to agree with you, but i I gave it a try and will not return the correct value.

Upvote 0
Try...

=ROUND((SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:INDEX(U11:DZ11,MATCH(REPT("z",255),U11:DZ11))))),0)

Upvote 0
Try also...

=ROUND((SUMPRODUCT(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],--ISNUMBER(MATCH(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:DZ11,0))),0)

Upvote 0
Try...

=ROUND((SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:INDEX(U11:DZ11,MATCH(REPT("z",255),U11:DZ11))))),0)

Thanks for your efforts. This one does a calculation, however, it doesn't give me the correct figure.

Upvote 0
Try also...

=ROUND((SUMPRODUCT(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],--ISNUMBER(MATCH(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:DZ11,0))),0)

Thanks again. However, this one returns an 'Excel Window' error message saying something wrong with Formula.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your efforts. This one does a calculation, however, it doesn't give me the correct figure.

The U11:INDEX(U11:DZ11,MATCH(REPT("z",255),U11:DZ11)) bit checks where text data ends in U11:DZ11. The assumption is that U11:DZ11 is text and contains no formulas. If this is not the case, try to describe what you have in this criteria range.

Thanks again. However, this one returns an 'Excel Window' error message saying something wrong with Formula.

A paren too many... Edited:

=ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],--ISNUMBER(MATCH(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:DZ11,0))),0)

Upvote 0
The U11:INDEX(U11:DZ11,MATCH(REPT("z",255),U11:DZ11)) bit checks where text data ends in U11:DZ11. The assumption is that U11:DZ11 is text and contains no formulas. If this is not the case, try to describe what you have in this criteria range.

A paren too many... Edited:

=ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[TRANS_AMOUNT],--ISNUMBER(MATCH(Import_Balance_Sheet_I_and_E[NOM_CODE],U11:DZ11,0))),0)

Thanks. The values in U11 to DZ11 are 4-digit numbers, eg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renslaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back