Find unmatched query "null value" problem

fishingmachine

i have two tables. same table but different data, 1 has yesterdays data and 1 has todays data. i want to know what changed so
i ran a find unmatched query and then outer joined (i right clicked on the joins and selected the second join option) for all of the fields in both tables cause i want to compare all of the data in all of the fields.

it works except when i have a null value in 2 like fields.

ie i want 'null' from yesterdays table in field1 to equal 'null' from todays table in field1 and not show up as a difference in the unmatched query.

any suggestions on how to overcome this?

thanks,
fishingmachine

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi,
you have posted the same question in another thread before...

Here my answer:

Hi,

Null should always be Null, normally ...
Are you sure, that both fields have the same properties? It could be that there is a "space" in the field, and then the field has a value and is not null.

Upvote 0
hi peter,

i am sure they are they same because to test i copied my table from yesterday and just changed 1 character in 1 field to make sure the find unmatched query returned only 1 row, the row i changed.

it returned 2 rows. the row where i changed data and another row that was comparing a null cell to a null cell.

i think it has to due with the the find unmatched query using "is null" at the end of the query....

i was thinking about using about running a query that replaced any "null" value in my table with something like "unassigned" but that would not work for numeric fields.

fishingmachine...

Upvote 0
It probably would be the Is Null at the end. Is your goal to find new records, changed records, or both. For tables that I want to track changes on I usually add an extra hidden "last changed" field that fills in the time and date when the record is changed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back