find specific text in column A then column B is false

Saoirse

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to write a VBA to look at worksheet A column A for a Specific name then have the cell in worksheet B reflect what is in Worksheet A column B based on column A's value. The issue is that I cannot know which cell the name will be in. So the name Albert will be somewhere in worksheet A range A1:A11000.
For example: Worksheet A
Albert 16
Ben 22
Collin 5

Worksheet B
Will post value of column B from worksheet A into column AB on Worksheet B.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Why do you need VBA?
Couldn't you just use a VLOOKUP formula to do this?

Upvote 0
Vlookup doesn't work because I need to find an employee number out of 30 employees. i can't just put in a specific cell to match it up to.

Also, I need a VBA since the report I am pulling the info from changes daily and I need it to only run once when I update the report to my tracker.

So I am trying to find a way to add onto my current VBA for this specific data.

Upvote 0
I am not convinced that you cannot use VLOOKUP.
Are you familair with this function? Do you understand how it works?

Maybe it will not work in your case because of the structure of your employee data, but you have not shown us what that looks like, so we really cannot make that determination.
Can you post a small sample of your employee data so we can see how it is structured?

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
I will post images, I have to get to a different computer, this one doesn't work. I'll send this evening. For now, I will say that I am pretty new to Excel and am learning as I go. But when trying to do a VLOOKUP, the formula is =VLOOKUP((cell number) but there isn't a specific cell number i can put in there. I need to enter in a person's name. Can I do that? I only see the ability to enter a specific cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back