Find most current date

2077delta

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two tables. Table 1 lists product codes, month and volume in lbs. Table 2 lists product codes, month and average sales price. A product in Table 1 may not have an average sales price in Table 2 for that month, but would have a sales price listed for some prior month. What I'm looking for is a query that would let me select all the products from Table 1 for a given month i.e. May 2003 and the most current sales price for that product from Table 2. The one restriction is that the sales price selected from Table 2 can't be from a month more current than the month selected for Table 1. For example let's say product 1001 has an average sales price in Table 2 for Jan 03, Feb 03 and Apr 03 but not Mar 03. The table below represents the result set I would expect based on the month selected in Table 1:

Volume Avg Sales
Month Price Month
Table 1 Table 2
Jan 03 Jan 03
Feb 03 Feb 03
Mar 03 Feb 03
Apr 03 Apr 03

I've tried every combination of the MAX function I could think of but nothing work the way I want. I'm sure someone out there know a solution for this.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
You can combine the DLookup and DMax functions to do this. Start a new query, add table 1, add the "Month" field, then in the next column put something like this:
  • AvgPrice: DLookUp("[fldAvgPrice]","tblB","[fldMonth]=#" & DMax("[fldMonth]","tblB","[fldMonth] <=#" & [fldMonth] & "#") & "#")
Where my tables are named tblA and tblB (for 1 and 2, respectively), and my fields are named fldMonth, fldAvgPrice (I disregarded any field in table 1 that was not the "month" field). Here is my SQL:
  • SELECT tblA.fldMonth, DLookUp("[fldAvgPrice]","tblB","[fldMonth]=#" & DMax("[fldMonth]","tblB","[fldMonth] <=#" & [fldMonth] & "#") & "#") AS AvgPrice
    FROM tblA;
HTH,

Russell

Upvote 0
First, thank you for your response.

Second, I forgot to mention that I need to return the product code. Everytime I introduce this piece, the query fails. Let's simplify the request and see if I can get this to work. Let's use Table two that has multiple instances of each product code with different months and average sales prices. Can I create a query that will return the most current sales price for all product codes but but more current than date X. I would like date X to be a parameter that I supply when I run the query. If I put in 04/26/03, the resulting set might look like this:

Product Date ASP
T10011 04/26/03 1.11
T10012 03/29/03 0.98
T10013 04/26/03 1.05
T10014 01/25/03 0.75

The key is I only want each product listed once with the applicable most current average sales price not greater than the date I supply. I hope this is a little clearer than my last request.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back