Find and match partial text between 2 tables, return value

BudgetGirl

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have a budget workbook which, along with other information, I import data from various financial institutions every month containing "Transaction Details" which I need to categorise and allocate. The data is never in a consistent format and the information I need to categorise against the budget can be contained anywhere in the "Transaction Details" text. Once categorised, I have various formulas and look ups that updates the rest of the sheets.

I have tried to automate the categorisation process but it never seems to work how I want it to. I set up 3 worksheets, "BUDGET" which is the main sheet and has the control Categories. Then I have the "DATA" sheet which is where the imported data goes, and contains an additional field for "Category".
Then I have a worksheet (WS3) that I put "common entities" in Column A and the related BUDGET category in Column B (which links to the BUDGET worksheet, as some categories have data from many like entries (eg. "Groceries" could be from Costco, Aldi, Farmers, etc).

I want to be able to look for partial text in "Transaction Details" on the Data sheet against column A in WS3, and return the result in Column B, eg. ='WS3'!B5. Then if we decide to change the category linked to a supplier, I can change it in the WS worksheet.I have tried various LOOKUPS, MATCH, but can't seem to get it to work.

Sorry I can only supply images as I can't download software on corporate machines.
Thanking replies in advanced
Data.jpg
WS3.jpg
Budget.jpg

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back