Financial Statements in Excel

primuspaul

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have data that comes in as individual accounts (could be 100-200 accounts) along with an amount next to it (two columns).

Account name......Amount
Account name......Amount
Account name......Amount
Account name......Amount

I need an automated way of generating financial statements using that data. They should look something like this:

https://www.aicpa.org/InterestAreas...forSMEs_SampleFinancialStatements_FSUsers.xls

Unfortunately, the statements aren't really "logical" as far as a computer is concerned. Each account on the account chart could belong to one type of statement and not to another, or perhaps to multiple statements. In each statement, the accounts would NOT appear using the account name found in the chart, but would be allocated to aggregate accounts. For example, TD Bank $10,000, Bank of America $11,000, and Petty Cash $1,000 on the account chart could appear on the balance sheet under the "ASSETS:" category as Current Assets $22,000.

I thought about using pivot tables and adding columns to the chart of accounts that had markers indicating the financial statement and aggregate category in said statement to which each account belongs, but it never comes out right. Many of the financial statements simply have illogical formats. I'm sure you can see that yourselves. Has anybody tackled this problem? Is there a working template available? What approach would I take to doing this the right way?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Maybe something like this

Chart of accounts
A
B
account
category
TD bank
cash
Bank of America
cash
Petty cash
cash
Comp eq
PPE

<tbody>
</tbody>

Data

A
B
C
TD bank
cash
Bank of America
cash
Petty cash
cash
Comp eq
PPE
Etc.

<tbody>
</tbody>

in C1 a vlookup to get the category
Code:
=VLOOKUP(A1,coa!A2:B5,2,0)

Then on your FS use a sumifs

A
B
C
D
CURRENT ASSETS:
Cash
Trade Accounts Receivable
Inventory
Prepaid Income Taxes
Total Current Assets
XXXX

<tbody>
</tbody>

In C2 and copy down
Code:
=SUMIFS(data!$B$1:$B$4,data!$C$1:$C$4,A2)

Upvote 0
I use something like this now. The problem I have is that I need to add accounts to the financial statement manually instead of having them generated automatically based on additions to the chart of accounts. Formatting is very important for financial statements and it turns into hell when I have to add a category and then reformat everything. Then there is the issue with changes to category names on the financial statement, which would also need to be updated manually in the chart of accounts. The closest thing I've seen that does this automatically is QuickBooks statement writer, but I need to do this in excel, or at the very least have a quick and easy way of importing it into QuickBooks, which does not appear to be possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back