Filter and sum

fionalofthouse2

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm not the best at Excel so please explain in dummy format haha.

I have previously achieved the formula I'm looking for but it has accidentally been deleted out and I didn't make a note of how I achieved it ahh.

For context, this is for work. We have a diary of which project / job each member of staff have been on, filled in using the job ref which is usually 4 numbers. We can then pull off this who has worked on the job / how many days have been spent to figure out labour costs.

We also have an overtime sheet on the same document which we fill in using the same job references, employee name and their rate of pay.

We then have a review page where it pulls the figures from the diary for labour, overtime amount, we infill the amount spent on materials from QuickBooks, a percentage gets added for overheads and then it shows us an overall cost of the job.

My problem is with the overtime - I had a formula that filtered the job reference box dependent on what reference I put in a box on the review sheet, and then it added up the amount. Please could someone help me with a formula to do this?

Hope that all makes sense!

thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Welcome to the Board!

It is really hard to grasp your question without seeing the data, how it is structured, and your expected results.
Could you post a small example and your expected results?

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I had a lightbulb moment this afternoon and realised it was the COUNTIF formula that i was needing all along.... wayyyyy less complicated than I was making it out to be.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad you were able to figure it out!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back