Feature or Misfeature?

Feature or Misfeature?

• Total voters

Aaron.B

Board Regular
I have noticed that in Excel 2007 (not sure about earlier versions) if you have a worksheet protected, the SpellChecker becomes disabled. There are pros and cons to this approach. What do you think?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I would think the same would be true for earlier versions and that is the way it should be IMO. Because you could then use spell checker to change anything in the workbook, kind of like a find and replace. Not sure what you mean by Feature or Misfeature, so I haven't voted yet. :biggrin:

If the sheet is protected then you shouldn't be able to modify any cells as set through the protection.

Now one might say if I have some cells unlocked it should then spell check those unlocked cells, but not sure how much coding that would take and how exactly spell check works. But even find and replace doesn't work in protected sheets with some cells unlocked, so I wouldn't want people changing things.

Last edited:
Misfeature! If I am developing a model and have protected a sheet then I still expect to be able to do a spell check. Perhaps it should be configured to prompt for password before change (if password protected). Or at least flag spelling errors even if not correcting...

But then I can't say that I ever noticed so it doesn't really bug me :)

Misfeature! If I am developing a model and have protected a sheet then I still expect to be able to do a spell check. Perhaps it should be configured to prompt for password before change (if password protected). Or at least flag spelling errors even if not correcting...

But then I can't say that I ever noticed so it doesn't really bug me :)
So are you saying you should be able to use find and replace on a protected sheet as well? You can almost use spell checker in that way? :stickouttounge:

I can see why they wouldn't allow it. A feature to check unlocked cells might be nice but as it's something that has never been an issue for me in the past I can't call is a misfeature.

Dom

I am saying that it should obey the lock/unlocked property. A worksheet can be protected and still have unlocked cells. In fact most of my worksheets get released this way to prevent accidental edits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back