Family tree Excel/VBA

Formula11

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I was wondering if anyone's come across any coding to prepare a family tree.
I have purchased proprietary software but don't think it's flexible enough and think Excel may be the way to go.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Give Graphviz a try. Here is an example of a tree you can use to get started. Paste that code into Viz.js to start editing by hand, or if your data is already in Excel, you could potentially use formulas or VBA to create the code for you and paste the generated dot code into that site to generate the image.

Upvote 0
Have a look to see if anything @Worf posted is suitable for your needs (Part 5 probably for a family tree)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks severynm and MARK858 I'll look into these.
It does get increasingly complicated when you extend family tree into another generation and to account for the tree associated with siblings and relatives as well.

Upvote 0
Do you have access to Microsoft Visio? I used to use this to create a variety of diagrams and you can import Excel and create Organisation charts (Family Tree). An example on YouTube to see how to is shown here:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back