False e-mail messages?

cecil23

I started a thread in Excel Questions and got an email response that "zusumiao" had posted a response to my query. No such response, and apparently, no such member.

It's one thing to post a question and get no responses... but it's downright eerie to be notified of a response from a non-existent member.

What's going on?

cecil23

Could have been a spam post that was deleted.

Looks just like the one I just got from you (shg)...

Would, however, appreciate a REAL ermail notifying me that a live person had addressed my original post .

cecil23

It was indeed a spam message posted in your thread. A moderator removed it.

Yup I nailed him if memory serves. The thing is that the mail is generated as soon as the member posted to your thread. Only afterwards did we encounter his spam post and removed it and banned the member.

Trust me though, his post wasn't worth reading. ;)

And just today, I receive an email from "mingshi" (another non-member). So many fictitious persons willing to help... Warms my heart.

Another one today, from "lookasd", another non-member. Is it me, or is this a wide-spread issue?

You do seem to be getting hit with more than your fair share. It's probably the same guy trying out new ways. MrExcel is a popular forum, so no doubt we are a popular choice for spammers too.

Some people are really dumb though... He just spammed a thread that I (a moderator) am subscribed too. I wish all spammers were as dumb as him. It would make our life a lot easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agata

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back