Failing at creating DAX measure calculation :-(

ConfusedMum

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am very downhearted here, as this was my first time having a go at using Power Pivot using Excel and creating a data model, etc...

I have two tables in my data model:
  1. Group Grants - name of group, ID of group, total grant allocated so far this year.
  2. Vouchers Paid - voucher ID, cost of voucher, a variety of other data, name of group voucher allocated to & ID of group voucher allocated to.
The data connection between the two tables is the group ID.

I created my first Power Pivot Table containing:
  • Name of Group (table 2)
  • Number of vouchers used (table 2)
  • Total cost of voucher value (table 2)
  • Total grant so far (table 1)
I congratulated myself too soon....

I then wanted to create a DAX measure to work out Remaining Grant and this is where I have totally failed😭

I REALLY want to learn how to do this myself, but when you watch LinkedIn Learning or YouTube videos they just type a formula in and I don't understand what they are using and why.

I am guessing that it is some kind of SUM formula, but I honestly don't know and am just getting myself more and more confused.

Two questions please: a) what measure formula would you recommend and b) is there a list of DAX measure/formulas, how they work and when you should use each formula.

(I am using Excel on my Windows 10 PC, and it is the desktop version of Excel, through Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise.)

Thank you SO much in advance for any suggested formulas and pointers about where to learn more.
Cathy 😢🥺😣☹️

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
If you want to learn yourself, you can start at my website, here

I recommend you read (in order)

After reading these 3, you should have a better idea of what you need to do.

Then with your model, follow the general concept of the dimension table being used to slice and dice your data (add columns from the table to rows in your pivot) and do the calculations on your fact table. You may need to do a calculation on your dim table, too, if your grant is stored in that table.

When you write your measure, set up a pivot table and add the measures to the pivot to check they are working

Post back with your progress

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pritch_0

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back