Fahrenheit Symbols in table field

maabbas

Board Regular
Hello Everyone,

Will someone help me to figure out how to add a Fahrenheit (F) symbol every time user add the number in the field.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
In excel would do &"F" at the end of the cell, haven't used access for years

Upvote 0
I probably should know, but what is the significance of the / character? I understand the # to be a placeholder for a digit if there is one (else nothing is displayed).
BTW, I believe this could also be =chr(176)&"F", which would make Celsius, Kelvin or whatever else quite simple.

Upvote 0
I don't believe a forward (or backward) slash is necessary for the custom formatting in this case. Anyway, works for me without the slash.

Upvote 0
I probably could have phrased the question better. I mean, when would you ever use a forward slash (/) other than for a date? I understand the backslash (\) is supposed to "escape" the next character (making it appear as entered) but I'm asking if there's another reason to use the / other than for dates? Even if your system settings used some other character for date separators, what is the purpose of a / in formatting? I don't recall ever using the \ for any purpose, and have only used the / for dates.
I got my info from here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj720239.aspx

Upvote 0
Let's say you had a product code that uses a slash in it. So you might format your product like 'A0056/21' or 'A0056\21'. You might say it's a bad idea to format a product code like that and you might be right, but it's an example of a case where you'd use a slash in a format.

Upvote 0
To me, what we're talking about is using formatting characters (e.g. @ > < 0 # % etc.) in an expression which causes data to be displayed according to the format desired. What you give as an example looks like data entry (of type text) to me, that includes a slash in the literal string. I think the way we're using the word format differs. I agree that your examples illustrate what we'd all like to avoid having to deal with as db designers. In conversation, I might even say "I don't like the way the item id is formatted" but I would not be using it in the same context as I am in my original question here.

Upvote 0
Are you interested in when you would use slashes (forward?, or backward?) in a format string? Or when you would use it in formatted output? In either case, the short answer is when you need to ;)

Upvote 0
It seems the conversation is going all over the place...
If I am correct this is what you want;

Go to your table where the numbers are being put in,
Choose a cell in that field,
Click on Design view,
Change the data type to short text,
On the "Format" row below, type &°
And save your changes...

In order to make that symbol in Access, ( or Excel );
Hold the Alt key down just like when you use the control key, and type: 242424 on the keypad to the right, not above.
And then let go of the Alt key at the end.

So: Alt + 242424 will give you °

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back