Extracting embedded URL

jwreath

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, first time on here, so bear with me. I would like to find a way to extract an embedded URL from a cell (with "friendly text") by means of built in excel functions (no vba). Ultimately, I have a list of links on one sheet (all with "friendly text") and I would like to reference those cells on a different sheet but keep the link functional. Might there be a way to do this? Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
After many years on this forum, I've long since learnt never to say "X is impossible", because invariably someone will come along and make you look stupid by demonstrating that it is in fact, possible.

That said, without VBA or some other programming language, I'm not sure that its possible to do what you're asking. But I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong.

Upvote 0
After many years on this forum, I've long since learnt never to say "X is impossible", because invariably someone will come along and make you look stupid by demonstrating that it is in fact, possible.

That said, without VBA or some other programming language, I'm not sure that its possible to do what you're asking. But I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong.
Hi Dan. Yes, I have done some custom function calls, etc to accomplish this in the past. I was just reaching out to see if I could steer clear of the VBA calls and still accomplish the task. Thx for the response! Hopefully somebody can enlighten me!! :)

Upvote 0
Assuming you are talking about a static hyperlink, then the answer is no. (he said, not at all nervously)

Upvote 0
Would this work?:

1725372773682.png

Hyperlink in column A, and this formula in C:

Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK(A1, A1)

(edited: i post image and formula because XL2BB messes up the original link in column A)

Or am I getting something wrong? Do you have an example of some of the URLs?

Upvote 0
Oh you mean something like this?:

1725373341096.png

Sorry I'm a little slow today (sigh).

Only thing I can think of is using a third (helper) sheet with a list of the links and the friendly text and reference those in both of your sheets.

Upvote 0
Oh you mean something like this?:

View attachment 116317

Sorry I'm a little slow today (sigh).

Only thing I can think of is using a third (helper) sheet with a list of the links and the friendly text and reference those in both of your sheets.
Hello...yes you are correct with your second take. I've dabbled with the 3rd sheet concept and it works but a bit more clunky than I'd like. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it!!

Upvote 0
Sure thing. Can you share your file? Or post a sample with XL2BB?

Upvote 0
If you would have a Sheet3 with a table like this named "T_Links":

Book2.xlsx
AB
1LinkFriendlyText
2GoogleGoogle
3Google MapsGoogle Maps
4Google EarthGoogle Earth
Sheet3

In the other sheets you would use:

Book2.xlsx
AB
1Link
2Google
3Google Maps
4Google Earth
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A4A2=HYPERLINK(T_Links[@Link], T_Links[@FriendlyText])

and drag down as needed.

Or if you links and friendly names are not formatted as a table:

Book2.xlsx
AB
1Link
2Google
3Google Maps
4Google Earth
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A4A2=HYPERLINK(Sheet3!$A2, Sheet3!$B2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back