Extracting data using a macro?

flammabubble

Hi there,

I've been tracking statistics in excel for video games I play for years. In this instance I've been manually tracking stats for league of legends games since 2012. I was looking to streamline the process (rather than having to type out all of the information I want each time I play a game).

League of legends has a fairly comprehensive match history page and I had the thought that there might be a way for me to simply copy and paste the entire page of the game I want into excel, and then use a macro to pull out the information into a readable format on a different sheet. As long as I copy the whole page each time (and the layout of the page is correct) I presume that this would be possible but I'm not sure how to go about doing it and was looking for some advice.

I know that web-scraping is another possibility, as is using Riot's API to try and build a program which would sort the data itself, but I'm not that technical so I'm hoping for a solution that I can put together in excel.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
If you want a macro to clean the info you pasted, why not go one step further and use VBA to get the data from their site? An alternative: I don't know exactly how their API works, but you could use the API data as a data source and use Power Query to transform it into a table. It looks like you just need an API key (which you can get at their site) and after that a query URL. That URL could be used as a data source I guess.
Hope that gets you started,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back