expression to return last month's data not working!

bmurch71

Board Regular
I'm using the following expression to return month-to-date sales data:

>=(IIf(Day(Now())=1,DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),DateAdd("d",-Day(Now()),Now()))) And <=Now()-1.

As i understand it, this expression first asks "Is today the first of the month?" If the answer is yes, then the data collected should be for last month, while if it is true, it should look to the current month. however, when I ran this query today, it only pulls data from Feb. 2 through Feb. 28, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Any ideas? (Andrew?)

Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Brian

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi Brian

That formula looks familiar. ;)

There are a couple of things to check before you change the formula. Check your system clock is correct because the Access date() functions use the system clock. If the clock is wrong then the query returns funny results (incidentally this is how I test various dates, by changing the system clock).

Second thing to check is if there is any data for Feb 1st.

Assuming that is ok, try changing your formula to this and see if it returns the same result :

>=(IIf(Day(Date())=1, DateAdd("m", -1, Date()), Month(Date()) & "/01/" & Year(Now()))) And <=Date()-1.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Late edit : if this happened on March 1st, has Access done something silly with the DateAdd function, given it is looking back into the shortest month? Mind you if I change my clock back to the 1st, my sample data for Feb 1st is included so I'm not sure about that.

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,
It does look familiar, doesn't it? My system clock is okay, and there is sales data for Feb. 1st, and your revised expression did the trick! Do you know why that worked? I'm guessing it's something to do with the more explicit use of the Date function? Any insight you might have would be great, so I don't make a similar mistake in the future.

Thanks again for your help!
Brian

Upvote 0
Hi Brian
I can honestly say "I have no idea" why it worked :LOL: But I now prefer to use Date() instead of Now() and decided to give that a go! In any case, both versions worked on my test database so it was just a matter of 'try and see' - not that I actually told you that in my previous post ;)
I'm pleased it worked.
Andrew :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soizicmc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back