Exporting from Access to Excel, into a new worksheet

jonwebb

Hi,

I've had a look through the board but can't find the answer for this.

I'm using VB within Access to export a query to Excel, and then run an Excel Macro to format the data, add some totals, and rename the worksheet to be a date e.g. 12-11-04.

This will be run daily, and will upload a new report, which (theoretically) will have the current date as the sheet name, so that we will have one master workbook with many sheets, all for different days.

I can only get the VB to push the query into one worksheet. I've tried the two following methods with mixed results...

1) DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel97, "qryMasterByDate", "C:\DAILY ELECTRONIC TBs MACRO(BY BSP).XLS"

This one creates a new workbook (if not existing) and does all the correct stuff. However, if the workbook is already there, it copies over the top of the existing worksheet and doesn't give it the name 'qryMasterByDate' which causes my Excel macro to go wrong during a rename.

2) DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryMasterByDate", "MicrosoftExcel(*.xls)", "C:\DAILY ELECTRONIC TBs MACRO(BY BSP).XLS", True, ""

This one overwrites my workbook completely, which causes the Excel macro to disappear.

So in a nutshell, can I use one of these processes (or similar) to write into the spreadsheet, into a new worksheet, without overwriting anything currently existing.

Thank you!

Jon

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
What abourt renaming the query in the macro? This could be done but might be a bit tricky.

Is it a particularly complicated query?

If not you could create it at runtime with the name being the date you require.

BTW you do realise that all the formatting/totalling etc could be done from within Access rather than running the Excel macro.

It would be quite easy to change the existing code.

And if you did the formatting etc from Access you could also do the renaming etc which would avoid you having to rename the Access query.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've ended up solving it myself. Once it's copied into Excel, I run the macro which does all the formatting, instead of renaming, I copy it into a new sheet and delete the transferred one. It seems that the transferSpreadsheet command always puts it into logical 'sheet 1' on the spreadsheet, therefore copying my formatted one away means it won't get touched. Deleting the logical 'sheet1' means a new one is created next time.

Thanks for your help,
Jon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freddocp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back