exporting formatted text from excel to word

vickie

I'm an English teacher and I've been putting together a slang database with each word in bold text in colA, definition in colB, example in colC, etc. I need to export the data to word, and I want to set it up so that I can export directly from excel and have the text properly formatted in Word. (It should look like a dictionary entry) When I try to do this by copy&pasting, if I maintain the text formatting, I also end up with the cell outlines and it looks like a table in word. I tried adding a column where I used the concactenate function to tie the text into one string before sending it to word. When I did this, the text in word looked great except for the fact that the word being defined was no longer in bold. Basically, I either got formatted text with cell outlines I didn't want, or the cells merged nicely without bold text where I needed it. I don't really know excel, do you have any ideas as to how I might do this more efficiently? Thanks very much,
vickie
I'm working with officeXP, version 2002

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Are you sure you're getting cell outlines when pasting into Word, or does the table just appear on the screen? Try a print preview to see if the format is to your liking - if not, you may be able to continue this way and merely change the borders to "none" on the Word table.

I hope this helps, but if not, continue to post as there are many experts on this site with far more knowledge than I have.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll try setting borders to none and printing it out, I'll let you know what happens,
vickie

Upvote 0
Once you have pasted the data into Word, select the entire table, and goto Table|Convert Table to Text. This should place tabs in between your "cells", and then you can edit your tab stops to your need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back