exporting append queries with database filename prompt

gdesreu

In my main database I execute an append query which I point to an external database table. The append query never changes and neither does the table name in the other database that I am appending it to. The issue I would like to solve is: right now the database filename is stored at the time the append query is saved, so as I make a new database for another client I have to change the database name and relink to the new table. If I export a select query it simply overwrites the table and I cant have that, I need to append the data to the table in the other database.

Is there a way to run an append query using VBA that simply prompts for the database filename location.
In other words export an append query to a database by prompting me for the location.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi, there is no inbuilt solution for this. You'd have to create your own using VBA.
ξ

Upvote 0
Hi, there is no inbuilt solution for this. You'd have to create your own using VBA.
ξ

Yes that is what I wondering if anyone has any insight on. I can get it to work using a static path, but I would it to prompt me for the database path and filename

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused by your explanation. Are you trying to export a query to another db or run a query that appends data to another db?

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused by your explanation. Are you trying to export a query to another db or run a query that appends data to another db?
Im trying to export data as append to another database however I want to prompt for the database filepath and name to which I exporting to as opposed to a static string.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what does your query look like now? Is it just that you are using linked tables so it's a normal append query?

Upvote 0
what does your query look like now? Is it just that you are using linked tables so it's a normal append query?

Typically I use an append query with a linked table but I do not want to have to keep changing the linked table to another database. Basically, I run the same append query to multiple databases that all contain the exact table. I have to send separate databases to different clients so I want to improve the efficiency of that process. Basically run the append query except specify the database I am appending it to with an input box (see bold) It currently static and I need that to be user input. Thanks
Code:
INSERT INTO tbl_lab_results ( SAMPID, ANALYTE, RESULT_Lab ) IN [B]'C:\Projects\export\export_test.accdb'[/B]
SELECT tbl_lab_results.SAMPID, tbl_lab_results.ANALYTE, tbl_lab_results.RESULT_Lab
FROM tbl_lab_results;

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can write a routine to get the database filepath, then edit the query string and change that part of it. You'll probably have to have a form to make it user-friendly (as much as possible).

Upvote 0
You can write a routine to get the database filepath, then edit the query string and change that part of it. You'll probably have to have a form to make it user-friendly (as much as possible).
Yes its the writing the routine that I am struggling with. In either case I just noticed if you try to handle it through the SQL query the append wont work unless you have the linked table. That means even if I get the query to work, I would still have to link the table in order to get it to work which negates the whole idea. I think I need to handle it all through VBA sub routine. Ill keep plugging away until I get it and post the code. Thanks

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need linked tables for this to work with an external query.

Here's a sample (not the most robust but should work fine):
Code:
Sub bar()

Dim qdf As QueryDef
Dim s As String
Dim i As Long, j As Long

Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("Query7")
    i = InStr(UCase(qdf.SQL), "IN ")
    j = InStr(UCase(qdf.SQL), "SELECT ")
    s = Replace(s, Mid(s, i + 4, j - i - 7), "C:\newfolder\newdb.accdb")

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL s
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Debug.Print i
    Debug.Print j
    Debug.Print "|" & Mid(s, i + 4, j - i - 7) & "|"
    Debug.Print s

End Sub

It would be easiest if your query was never altered and never actually used. Then you could write it as:
INSERT INTO ... IN XXX ...
and your code just replaces XXX and you are good to go no worries.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back