Exporting Access Table to Text

Joyce

My Access field is formatted as Number showing leading zeros for a field up to 15 spaces - my numeric input is variable (any # from 1 to 10,000) so I need my data to be right justified with leading zeros.

I got that part just fine.

But, when I export it to a .TXT file, it drops my zeros :cry: Does anyone know how I can keep all my zeros as I output to Fixed Width Text?

Thanks for your time & advice.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I'm not sure how to fix your problem directly, but, if you have a relatively small amount of data, you might consider using recordsets you might try:

You may need to add code to control what is passed to strVal, depending on the fieldtypes being sent to the file. There's additional code and approaches to how you might concatenate multiple fields from a single record into the strVal variable -- either explicitly naming the fields or just reading all of them (however many are there). Not sure how much 'help' you need.

Mike

Code:
Public Sub TextExport()
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL, strPath, strVal As String

Set dbs = CurrentDb()

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblName"
Set rs = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSql, dbOpenSnapShot)

strPath = "path_to_file_to_save"
Open strPath For Append As #1

With rs
  Do Until rs.EOF
    strVal = .Fields(0).Value
    Print #1, strVal
    .MoveNext
  Loop
End With

Close #1

Set rs = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you for your time & help; unfortunately Im not at all familiar with code so I couldn't get it to work. Instead I used a complicated IF statement. Lucky for me I didn't have to go over 15!

JE AMT: IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=1,'00000000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=2,'0000000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=3,'000000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=4,'00000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=5,'0000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=6,'000000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=7,'00000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=8,'0000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=9,'000000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=10,'00000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=11,'0000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=12,'000',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=13,'00',IIf(Len([JE AMOUNT])=14,'0',[JE AMOUNT])))))))))))))) & [JE AMOUNT]

Upvote 0
Hi Joyce, this is simpler:

=RIGHT('000000000000000' & [JE AMOUNT],15)

You can adapt this for any fixed-length output by changing the number of zeros and the second parameter in the expression.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Mize 1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back