Export to Excel but table too large - what to do?

losamfr17

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a table on Access that has 400k+ rows. I want to export it to Excel, but Access tells me that the table is to big to export, and I have to break it down into smaller tables. How do you do that or is there another way?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Not sure if there is an intrinsic Access limitation for this, but are you using Office 2007 or later? That should accommodate just over 1M rows, beginning with Excel 2007. Also, do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office?

You can also do this from Excel via macro by creating a Recordset. Here is a simple example. Let's say you have a database on you C:\ drive, called MyDatabase.mdb. In this database, you have a table called MyTable, which is your 400K+ table. This code will copy the data to range A2 of Sheet1 (leaving row 1 for column headers):

Code:
Public Sub GetAccessData()
  Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
  Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
  cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyDatabase.mdb"

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
  rs.Open "MyTable", cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockReadOnly

Sheet1.Range("A2").CopyFromRecordset rs

DoEvents

rs.Close
  cn.Close
  Set rs = Nothing
  Set cn = Nothing
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iliace,

I think I'm running on the 2010 office - 32 bit.
When I run the macro, I get the following error message: "User-defined type not defined." What does this mean?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Iliace,

I think I'm running on the 2010 office - 32 bit.
When I run the macro, I get the following error message: "User-defined type not defined." What does this mean?

Thank you.

You would need to add a Reference to this library: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library. Sorry, neglected to mention.

Upvote 0
It should be on your machine already.

Upvote 0
This works for an accdb file, without needing to set references.

Code:
Public Sub GetAccessData()

Dim cn As Object ' ADODB.Connection
  Dim rs As Object 'ADODB.Recordset

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
  cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\myTemp\Database1.accdb"

Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
  rs.Open "Table1", cn

Sheet1.Range("A2").CopyFromRecordset rs

DoEvents

rs.Close
  cn.Close
  Set rs = Nothing
  Set cn = Nothing

End Sub

my code is for accdb files - using the new Ace provider, the original one posted is for mdb files, which can use Ace or the Jet provider you see there. They are the same thing, but Ace is newer and updated for the accdb file format as well as still supporting the older mdb file format.

This is what is meant by setting references:
ADO and DAO Library References

Upvote 0
Love the ADO responses you have been given; I've used similar code myself and it works great. But, as another option (dependent on your intended use of the data once its in Excel), have you considered PowerPivot? I literally have had millions of rows from Access into Excel via PowerPivot.

Upvote 0
Love the ADO responses you have been given; I've used similar code myself and it works great. But, as another option (dependent on your intended use of the data once its in Excel), have you considered PowerPivot? I literally have had millions of rows from Access into Excel via PowerPivot.
:cool: Really the PowerQuery part which is more widely available in 2016 as Get&Transform.

But just a simple complete Table: Data\From Access Database...
depending on use you may want to send it to the DataModel instead of to a Table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back